• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Mecca Grade Estate Malts

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those with experience using the Mecca Grade Shaniko (White Winter Wheat) Malt.. Does it taste as described "like cookie dough right off the spoon"?
Oddly enough, it kinda does. I tasted the wort after the mash and boil and there is a very subtle cookie flavor. I used 3 lbs of Shaniko and 12 lbs of Lamonta. I was actually worried it would make my IPA taste weird but I have enough hops in it that the cookie flavor doesn't really come through. I think Shaniko could be really good in a sweet stout recipe.

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks yummy! Well, is it?
I've only used a bit of Shaniko so far and am almost out of Lamonta. Boy, it's made my beers better!
It is! Maybe it's a waste to use premium malts with a lot of hops but I can taste the difference that they add so I will keep doing it. I would like to try a recipe that lets the malt flavor come through more.

OP
radwizard

radwizard

Reaction score
Any feed back on Gateway ? I'm curious to give this a go, and thinking about how I should mash it.
Cheers!

porkchop

Reaction score
If I drive up there, will they sell me 10 pounds? Or do I need to buy an entire bag? I'm asking because I'd like to get a variety of malts.

OP
radwizard

radwizard

Reaction score
If I drive up there, will they sell me 10 pounds? Or do I need to buy an entire bag? I'm asking because I'd like to get a variety of malts.
They have a tasting room, and do tours or the Malt House. I know people have gotten smaller amounts there, but I think you need to call ahead to get sorted. In Portland, FH Steinbarts carries their stuff - last time I was in there I believe they had their entire collection.