Quantcast

Mecca Grade Estate Malts

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those with experience using the Mecca Grade Shaniko (White Winter Wheat) Malt.. Does it taste as described "like cookie dough right off the spoon"?
Oddly enough, it kinda does. I tasted the wort after the mash and boil and there is a very subtle cookie flavor. I used 3 lbs of Shaniko and 12 lbs of Lamonta. I was actually worried it would make my IPA taste weird but I have enough hops in it that the cookie flavor doesn't really come through. I think Shaniko could be really good in a sweet stout recipe.

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks yummy! Well, is it?
I've only used a bit of Shaniko so far and am almost out of Lamonta. Boy, it's made my beers better!
It is! Maybe it's a waste to use premium malts with a lot of hops but I can taste the difference that they add so I will keep doing it. I would like to try a recipe that lets the malt flavor come through more.

OP
radwizard

radwizard

Reaction score
Any feed back on Gateway ? I'm curious to give this a go, and thinking about how I should mash it.
Cheers!

porkchop

Reaction score
If I drive up there, will they sell me 10 pounds? Or do I need to buy an entire bag? I'm asking because I'd like to get a variety of malts.

OP
radwizard

radwizard

Reaction score
If I drive up there, will they sell me 10 pounds? Or do I need to buy an entire bag? I'm asking because I'd like to get a variety of malts.
They have a tasting room, and do tours or the Malt House. I know people have gotten smaller amounts there, but I think you need to call ahead to get sorted. In Portland, FH Steinbarts carries their stuff - last time I was in there I believe they had their entire collection.

VirginiaHops1

Reaction score
I just tapped a pilsner with the mecca grade pilsner and vienna malts and US Tettnang hops. Definitely the best pilsner I've made. Super rich flavor. I may be sticking with this even though it costs more, at least for my pilsners. I have a SMASH pale ale fermenting right now with the mecca grade pale malt I'm excited to try.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I’ve used it quite a bit and agree with Denny - it brings something different to the table. And for 5-10 gallon batches it is certainly worth the money.
But on the flip side, as I’m now venturing into a commercial endeavor, I don’t see how it makes sense even at the 1bbl scale. My base malt cost would almost triple, and I don’t see it adding a distinct enough taste to justify it as the subtly will be lost on most folks.

Last edited:

kcinpdx

Reaction score
It is indeed a tough market! Compass Brewing PDX is now (as of July 1) OLCC licensed production brewery based in Sellwood. We are working through some test batches now and hope to have some taps in a couple of places before the end of the summer. I’ll be sure and update you when we get the locations nailed down. Longer term plan is for brick and mortar, but the current situation making it longer term!
and I would absolutely love to use Mecca grade exclusively- the original concept was to use all locally sourced materials, but it’s really hard to do. I totally get the time and effort they have to put into their product and understand the economics of it. But it doesn’t pencil out for me right now. When we expand, it might be possible to make it worth a large order from them and drive over and pick it up - gives me and excuse to throw some flies on the D for an afternoon anyway.

VirginiaHops1

Reaction score
I picked up some or the rimrock rye and am going to use it soon, but I've never done a rye beer before. What % of it are you guys using in your beers? It's fairly light(4.8L) I just don't want to overdo the spice

Beer-lord

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use 15-20% but I like rye. Rimrock is great too. I noticed the difference right away. But, you may want to start at about 10% if you've not used to rye. Plus, unless you're doing a no sparge, you will do better to use some rice hauls in the mash.

OP
radwizard

radwizard

Reaction score
I go 16% in my favorite Saison recipe. I like to use low amounts in my more Trappist style beers too.

Latest posts