McKenzie hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a batch last Tuesday that I’ll keg next weekend. APA recipe that usually calls for citra, so swapped out 1/2 pound of these instead.

Hop smell was pretty dank, with a combination of woodsy and citrus notes. While fermenting it was straight citrus. It’s basically just cleaning itself now, but I have high hopes for them

I ended up brewing an IPA 1.071

Just 2row and a little C40/Carapils

Columbus at 75
1 oz of McKenzie at 5min
1oz of Citra at 5min

Then 2oz (each) McKenzie and Citra whirlpool 170f

Planning on dry hopping with those 2 as well. Maybe only McKenzie. Looking back i should have just done all McKenzie.

Voss Kveik

Last edited:
Voss should ferment quickly, can definitely keg it up next week. Definitely interested in your notes vs mine.

Mine was 11 lbs Pilsner, 2 lbs Munich, and 1/2 pound each of carapils, crystal 40, and melanoidin. 20g @ 60, 35 @ 15,10, 5, 0, and 85 @ whirlpool. Yeast was S04. Will keg it up this week and serve when my Citra is cashed

Kegged it on Friday and it’s about 1/2 carbed now. Definitely more tropical than citrus, hints of piney woodsiness, overall a pretty well rounded hop that has no problem being featured on its own.

Kegged it on Friday and it’s about 1/2 carbed now. Definitely more tropical than citrus, hints of piney woodsiness, overall a pretty well rounded hop that has no problem being featured on its own.

Thanks
I'm trying to make room for this one. I have 2 kegs in front of it. Friends aren't putting in their dues. Hoping to fill some growlers this week and maker room to keg it.

I checked the notes on the hops after I wrote that and it was almost like I copied it directly from them, lol. Has some pineapple notes, a touch of citrus, and slightly woody nose. I'll see when I can order it again, I have a few pounds of hops to get through before needing to reorder.

Following up because after a month in the keg this beer is really, really good. Like I’m going to make it again this summer to submit to the state fair good. After settling down a bit this was one of my better beers and I will definitely be ordering a pound of this for next time

Updating this thread. The original batch got dumped (long story).

I brewed another batch 3+ weeks ago. Columbus hot side and a LOT of McKenzie in the whirlpool. Straight up IPA (no hazy). The beer is bangin. No dry hops and the aroma is really nice. I get pineapple grapefruit, citrus. Pairsgreat with Columbus bitterness. .

I'm about to order 2 lbs of this. Might be my new favorite hop. I'll be surprised if this hop doesn't take off in the next year. Underrated for sure.

Following up because after a month in the keg this beer is really, really good. Like I’m going to make it again this summer to submit to the state fair good. After settling down a bit this was one of my better beers and I will definitely be ordering a pound of this for next time

Just quoting you so you see the update ^ above. Sorry for the delay

Back