Maxed out the yeast, can I add honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secretlevel

Reaction score
Greetings!

I maxed out my yeast with a 1.107 OG beer. I used WY1318 which only has a tolerance of 10% ABV, so instead of finishing at 1.031, it finished at 1.034. At this point, can I add fermentable sugars like honey and not have the yeast ferment them?

More info:
I mashed this stout at 149 so there should be plenty of fermentable sugars to get it down to 1.031 (according to Brewfather) if I had used a high-abv yeast. However, I want to be able to add some honey and not have the yeast ferment it.

My plan is to have this beer sit in a fermenter for another couple of more weeks (it's been 2 weeks so far, krausen fell 6 days in, FG hit on day 9). After this time, I plan to cold crash, and transfer to keg. Add honey in keg at room temps to see if fermentation kicks off again, if not - bottle it.

Last edited:
Right, I do and have, but it doesn't exactly give me honey or maple flavor, for example. The idea behind adding honey is to get the honey flavor...

The OP is trying to do just that- while hoping the yeast don't slowly chew it up.
I think s/he should do it - FOR SCIENCE! :rock:
As long as plenty of time at a temperature above ~68°F is allowed - and there is a healthy respect for FG trends - I don't see much risk...

Cheers!

Was expecting 1.031 and got 1.034 that’s close enough I wouldn’t count on the yeast being pooped out yet. You did say you were making a stout, which would have more unfermentables than a simple pale ale. So it is possible the wort was just slightly less fermentable resulting in the higher FG.

Ok, gotcha. I assumed you were just trying to sweeten.

Common misnomer with lactose, not really perceived as sugary sweet.

Was expecting 1.031 and got 1.034 that’s close enough I wouldn’t count on the yeast being pooped out yet. You did say you were making a stout, which would have more unfermentables than a simple pale ale. So it is possible the wort was just slightly less fermentable resulting in the higher FG.

OP could add to primary and let any activity kick off again. I’ve used 1318 in a RIS before, definitely underattenuated, so seems plausible that it’s pretty much done.

Back