Maturation time for american double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I have a DIPA made with 2-row, carapils and wheat which was brewed 6 weeks ago and has been carbonating in bottle for 3 weeks. OG 1.068, finished dry at 1.008. Around 8% And feels about 60 IBU.

I opened a bottle and did not enjoyed that much. How much maturation time world you give a beer like this one?

Thanks

Was it carbonated? DIPA's can be good when very fresh/vibrant at 2-3 weeks post-packaging and also good at 5-8 weeks in the bottle once the flavors have melded. Almost like having two beers in one. For some reason, I always like bottle conditioned beer that's allowed to gradually chill in the refrigerator for a few days vs being crash chilled for 30 minutes in the freezer directly from storage. Perhaps because the CO2 has ample time to reabsorb in the beer from cellar/room temp...

It's "ready" when you like it...

Was it carbonated? DIPA's can be good when very fresh/vibrant at 2-3 weeks post-packaging and also good at 5-8 weeks in the bottle once the flavors have melded. Almost like having two beers in one. For some reason, I always like bottle conditioned beer that's allowed to gradually chill in the refrigerator for a few days vs being crash chilled for 30 minutes in the freezer directly from storage. Perhaps because the CO2 has ample time to reabsorb in the beer from cellar/room temp...

It's "ready" when you like it...

Yes it was carbonated. Like you, i like to keep the beer for at least a couple of days in the fridge before opening. I don't have a dedicated beer fridge.

I look forward for the flavours to meld in the next weeks, at the moment is the alcohol what is getting me. It does not feel like there are fusels, but i did not intended for such a dry finish And 8% is just too much for me, it is killing the experience!

Back