massive amount of trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axp

Reaction score
Hi all.

So I brewed a witbier today using flaked wheat, flaked oats, malted wheat,pale malt and flaked oats.

I used the DeathBrewer stove top all grain method to create a 12.5 L batch. So basically brewing in a bag and batch sparging. After racking to primary I have noticed that there is a layer of trub about 2.5 inches high! this is way more than I usually get. Previous batches have yielded about 0.5 inches of trub.

This is the first time I have used wheat and oats in my brewing. Is this the cause of all the extra trub? Do you guys get massive amounts of tub when brewing witbiers/heffes?

Hi axp - I don't remember getting an unusual amount of trub when I brew witbiers. But I'm sure your beer will be fine. If you're concerned about the trub, you could wait until the fermentation is complete and then rack to a secondary or bright tank, getting it off the trub. Cheers!

I will be racking to secondary to clear. My main concern is that i'll loose moor beer than planned and have a greater amount of headspace in the secondary.

Wasn't sure why so much trub was produced. The thing is it didn't settle to the bottle of the kettle when I cooled the wort after boiling like it usually does. All the wort was just very cloudy.

My initial thought was the oats and flaked wheat broke up in the mash and disolved into the wort. Not sure if thats the case though.

Back