Mashing with or without your specialty grains included

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C2H6O

Primary
Reaction score
I am trying to get a little wiser on this subject as I have done one partial mash. I have read several posts as well as specific sections in brew books so I understand the function of a mash versus steeping but I dont recall if its better to do them separately or not. For the mash I performed I combined all the grains in a bag and kept the ratio of grains to water 1lb/1.25qt then sparged with 170º water. Is it better to mash only grains that require being mashed first and then bring the pot to full boil volume and steep specialty grains separately so that you get better efficiency since there is less grains in the bag?

Thanks

Nope, just mash them all together. The diastatic power of your base grains will help with overall conversion for any other grains you include.

Nope, just mash them all together. The diastatic power of your base grains will help with overall conversion for any other grains you include.

Thanks

Back