Mashing with A LOT of flaked wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt98

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew a Belgian wit this weekend and thought I'd try brad smith's recipe from beersmith. That recipe calls for 4.5 lbs of 2 row and 4.5 lbs of flaked wheat. I've been doing a little more reading and I'm worrying about the mash with the flaked wheat. Should I adjust the recipe or will this work out ok? I don't have a lhbs so I'll have to order new stuff if I need anything extra/different.

Are you sure it calls for flaked wheat and not regular wheat? That's a ton of flaked wheat! If it really does call for that much flaked wheat you might wanna add rice hulls to improve your efficiency or maybe try a mash out if you don't wanna order more stuff. But I really can't see why you would use so much flaked wheat

It's doable but like they posted above you may have issues with sparging (stuck sparge). Depending on your setup, either add rice hulls or definitely do a mash out to help with lautering.

The higher temperatures will definitely help thin the mash out enough to where you will have better success sparging. Try not to get the mash any hotter than 170* though.

50% of flaked wheat sounds a bit too much.
I usually use aprox. 10%, high amounts of flaked anything can lead to stuck sparge, as said you can use rice hulls to prevent it.

I can't think of another use for them, So I would guess no. What are you using for your mashtun? False bottom, stainless steal braid Or something other? My understanding is a stainless steal braid has less of a chance of having a stuck sparge for the grain bed does not compact evenly. Or you could try the BIAB style where you can't really have a stuck sparge

I have a manifold in the bottom of a rubbermaid picnich cooler. I've been doing some more reading and people tend to think that the mash out will help quite a bit. It doesn't look like my ingredients will arrive in time to brew this weekend anyways so I will probably be able to pick up some rice hulls just to be safe.

Brewed this batch today. No problems whatsoever with sparge. Actually ended up with a higher volume than expected. Dropped my og down. But should be a great session wit.

I just finished brewing this recipe and I'm scratching my head. I followed the schedule by the numbers and started with a 1.030 pre-boil (1.041 excepted). Since it was so low, I boiled for about 1:45 total to get the OG up to 1.045. As a result, I came out with about 3.5-3.8 gallons. The flaked wheat wasn't milled. Could that explain the low gravity.
Thanks in advance.
BTW, I use a braided loop in my mash tun with no issues.

The flaked wheat doesn't have to be milled. Otherwise, a variety of mash varibles may have affected your eventual gravity reading. My numbers turned out ok considering I used too much water.

Latest posts

Back