Mashing R Us

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just playing around with Beer Recipator to see if I could figure out what my efficiency was. Using the grain bill and the actual measured hydrometer values (sorry Janx...couldn't help myself) Recipator tell me my efficiency was 85%! Talk about beginner's luck. :D

Actually I'm assuming the good efficiency is mainly cuz I'm slow. Palmer says to sparge at 1 qt per minute, but looking back it look like I was going more like 1 qt every 2.5 minutes.

Smart ass lucky git! I hate you El. P! :D

What really hurts is you did all this and went to softball in the middle of your first AG too!

I gave it my full attention and cocked it up! ;)

Dude said:
You have to do a full boil with AG though, so your pot has to be at least 8 gallons, better yet even more to prevent boil overs.
I got hold of a 10 gallon stock pot. When boiling 7 or 8 gallons, I still have to be alert for boilovers. A squirt bottle of water works fine to stop them, but without it I'd have lots of clean up to do.

if i'm reading all of this right, this 14 gallon italian stock pot i'm gonna get from northern brewer should be big enough for AG then right??

justbrewit said:
if i'm reading all of this right, this 14 gallon italian stock pot i'm gonna get from northern brewer should be big enough for AG then right??

yeah it'll be big enough, BUT good GAWD, F that!

Yeah it will be big enough, but you can buy a sabco for less. For almost the same price you can get a sabco keggle and a thermometer for it fo rthe same price. The go to ihomebrewsolutions for a cheap sightglass kit. You'll get all those extras for essentially the same price!!!!

SABCO

I've got to second the Dude on this...that fine italian kettle sure is sweet, but I think you get a lot more with a keggle for the same price.

its not that bad for brand new(i gotta thing for shiny new), yeah the sabco keg is a bit cheaper, but its reconditioned and it doesn't have the tap already on it, sure it has a hole for it, but its not on there, i'm not to worried about the price though, i get to spend $2000 on brewing gear and suopplies once i move back to cali. i'm figuring about 11 pounds of hops, 55lb bag of DME, 50lb bag of rahr 2 row, like 15 lbs of specialty grains, about 15 types of yeast, 10 kegs, 6 carboys, 3 more plastic fermenters, the cheap AG kit from NB and a few more toys and i'll be all set. not to mention my chest freezer that will hold about 10 to 14 beers on tap at once!!:rockin:

EL P. , you once asked the question "why do you guys call it the Dark Side" .
Any more questions? I have one..What time did you finish?:D

Imperial Walker said:
yeah, I know. I've been talking to the Baron in the side about this. I need to track down a keggle someplace....

-walker

i bought my keg for 15 bones and all the fittings for a spigot for about 10. you throw in the cost of a good cutting wheel for a side grinder, it cost me about 30 bucks. much cheaper than sabaco, and WAY cheaper than an italian (scuse the italics) stock pot.

justbrewit said:

I have that same kettle, and I love it.

Back