Mash-tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zygote

Reaction score
I am thinking of going to AG and have a question. I see the way people trick out the coolers w/ piping and such for straining, but wouldn't a plain cooler and a grain bag work the same?

It's doable, but looks to me it would be a pain without an actual spigot. Another concern would be low efficiency due to "doughballs" in the mash that you wouldn't be able to stir out.

As a total low-rent, low-effort way to AG, it's a pretty good idea.

i think that's the way Byron Burch has it in his book "Brewing Quality Beers". you can buy a plastic valve for $2-3 bucks at a HBS to replace the cooler spigot. your efficiency might be a little lower, but very doable.
i think once you do it, you'll want to make more conversions to the system. i did the same thing. i have the cooler mash/lauter tun, and used a ladle to transfer sparge/mash water. primitive, makes great beer, but a right pain in the arse! i'm having a three tier keg kettle system built this week, and OH I Can'T WAIT TO RUN THAT BABY!!!!

there's nothing wrong with starting small, and adding on. it's the way i do just about everything. it may cost more in the long run, but i feel like i learn more and can appreciate things more that way. just my $0.02.

Back