Mash Tun Advice/Opinions?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
I'm about to make the switch to partial mash brewing--on the way to all-grain brewing--and I'm going to try the "countertop partial mashing" process described in the October 2006 issue of BYO (at least for the mash part--I have a keggle and do full wort boils). The article suggests using an unmodified 2-gallon water cooler and about 4 lbs. of grain (base + specialty). I'm looking at this cooler:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/...e=Coolers&SubcatId=WaterJugs&Prod_ID=RP091238

For those of you that use coolers as mash tuns, how well do they work to regulate/hold temp? Are there any tips or tricks I should know about using a cooler as a mash tun? How hard would it be to add a ball valve spigot to a cooler that size?

Thanks!

Coolers do a fine job of holding temps steady. The key is to pre-heat the cooler. It also helps if the cooler is kinda full. Air space can cause the temps to drop a bit over the length of the mash rest. But it's nothing to freak about, people have made great beer from coolers.

If you can unscrew the drain / tap on the cooler it should be very easy to add a ball valve. But that is a very small cooler and you could probably just use a mesh bag to lauder the mash. If your planning to do 5 gallon batches and will make the step to AG I'd recommend a larger 5-10 gallon cooler.

Eventually I'll buy a bigger cooler to go all-grain, but space is a problem now...

The article also gives the option for mashing 6lbs. of grain in a similar, 3-gallon cooler. Is that the better way to go, maybe?

if you have space for a 5 gallon cooler, go for it. that way you can do small partial mashes but also be able to mash a full low gravity 5 gallon batch if you want to go to full mash. If not, either of the small ones will work well for what you're planning on doing. What are you going to be using to filter the grains from the wort? steel braid, manifold, grain bag?

What are you going to be using to filter the grains from the wort? steel braid, manifold, grain bag?

The article suggests using a grain bag inside of the cooler; I'm thinking one of the reusable nylon bags may work best. The mesh seems tighter than the usual grain bags. Or do I want a looser mesh?

I don't know much about manifolds or steel braids in this situation. Can you explain?

+1 what they said - if you're gonna get a three gallon you might as well get the 5 gallon - I started with a 5 gallon to do partial mashes and now still use it for up to 12 pound grain bills doing AG. You can easily replace the spigot with a ball valve and manifold or braid and then you're set to do all grain as well.

The article suggests using a grain bag inside of the cooler; I'm thinking one of the reusable nylon bags may work best. The mesh seems tighter than the usual grain bags. Or do I want a looser mesh?

You want a super fine mesh. It's important that the shredded bits of husks not get loose in your wort.

Have you looked into "brew in a bag" You could do full 5 gallon AG (or partial mash) with your existing keggel. no need for a cooler. All you need is a big mesh bag.

I've been a fringe brewer for a year or so and am just getting back into things regularly. I've never heard of brew in a bag. What is it?

I've been a fringe brewer for a year or so and am just getting back into things regularly. I've never heard of brew in a bag. What is it?

It's Australian mate!

Do a search for BIAB. There are several threads on this forum. Basically you use the brew pot as the MLT. you put all the grain in a giant bag and then you sit in the brew pot with the mash and sparge water at a set temp for a set amount of time. remove the bag and then start the boil. It's a super easy way to do AG. The only catch is you need a big pot. They recommend a minimum 10 gallon pot for do a 5 gallon batch size. But if you have a 15 gallon keggel your in good shape.

if you have space for a 5 gallon cooler, go for it. that way you can do small partial mashes but also be able to mash a full low gravity 5 gallon batch if you want to go to full mash. If not, either of the small ones will work well for what you're planning on doing. What are you going to be using to filter the grains from the wort? steel braid, manifold, grain bag?

If air space and temp regulation can be an issue, and I decide to start with the smaller cooler, couldn't I just use it later as an efficient way to steep some of the darker specialty grains (or just use it to steep grains when I'm doing an extract plus grains recipe)?

Probably seems like a wasteful thing to do...maybe I need to go and actually look at the size of these things...

I do partial mashes using a reusable fine mesh grain bag. I line the boil kettle with the bag...heat strike water to 160 and add grains. Temp stabilizes around 155 then I put the kettle with the lid on in a preheated oven (170 degrees) and turn the oven off...I never lose even 1 degree over an hour mash. Lautering is easy- put the grain bag in a collander over the kettle and sparge. 1 vessel partial mash...really easy.

Back