Mash Temp Probe Location?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harley03

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to throw this out to the forum and see what the consensus is with regards to temp probe location on my current HERMS design. Currently I have three temp probe locations built into the system T1, T2 and T3. When mashing for example as shown below I thought about using T2. This temp probe measures the wort coming back from the HERMS which then goes to the top of the mash. Would this be the best location for maintaining the mash temp?

I also have two other temp probes T1 which could be the MLT out and T3 which is the Heater out are available as well to use. I also plan on using one of these temp probe locations for cooling after the boil when the time comes.

Anyway let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Mash Temp Probe Location.jpg

Thanks for the reply Walker,

Just to clarify what’s going on in the schematic. The MLT is continually recirculating starting at V6 through pump 2, through the HERMS and then back to the top of the mash via the sparge manifold.
The HLT is also continually recirculating starting at V5 down through pump 1, through the Heater, through the HERMS then returning to the top of the water level in the HLT.
The thought here is that the temperature of the mash will be controlled by the HLT water temperature. This will be done by turning the heater on & off using temperature sensor 2 (T2).
The E-HERMS/CFC will be used for both maintaining mash temperature and cooling after boil and is not your typical design. It is external from the HLT.
Temperature sensors 1 and 3 could also be used if necessary. I thought about using temperature sensor 1 just to see what the temp of the mash is exiting the MLT to compare.

I would advise against using T1 to control your PID. From all that I have read, if you are monitoring the temp of the wort as it comes out of the MLT, then the (heated) wort that is coming back in through the top will be way over temp.

No experience myself, just repeating what I read in a number of places when I was doing research.

Your system is a bit different than most because of the use of the CFC instead of an IC for the heat exchanger, but your T2 is the same as where I monitor, and your T3 would be roughly equivalent to having the temp probe directly in the HLT, which is the other common location for a controller probe.

So, try it with T2 or T3, but I think T1 will give you problems.

Hello,

I wanted to throw this out to the forum and see what the consensus is with regards to temp probe location on my current HERMS design. Currently I have three temp probe locations built into the system T1, T2 and T3. When mashing for example as shown below I thought about using T2. This temp probe measures the wort coming back from the HERMS which then goes to the top of the mash. Would this be the best location for maintaining the mash temp?

I also have two other temp probes T1 which could be the MLT out and T3 which is the Heater out are available as well to use. I also plan on using one of these temp probe locations for cooling after the boil when the time comes.

Anyway let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Measure the wort out of the CFC with T2 or else you will get overshoots.

Back