Mash Temp for American Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon3

Reaction score
My next batch is going to be my first try at an American Bitter. Not looking for the Session IPA type- but a little more malty with a nice hop flavor and clean bitterness. Not looking for a Lagunitas Daytime or Stone Go To, I was thinking more along the lines of 21A Bitter American or Anderson Valley's Hwy 128.

Grain bill is:

79% 2Row
16% Crystal 15
5% Crystal 80

OG 1.044

Now, I realize this is 21% crystal malts, but I have read many places that for smaller ales, a larger percentage of crystal is wanted. I am also brewing with fairly high sulphates so it cleans up the finish and adds to the dryness.

Bittering with Magnum to 35 IBU and finishing with an oz of C-Hops and dry hopping with 2oz C-Hops.

I'm using Wy1968.

Now, should I mash high or low? I am figuring with 21% Crystal, I will have a high FG either way, so I was thinking mash low to get a lot of the sweetness out, especially since I'm using a lower-attenuating yeast. The IBU should balance out the residual sweetness of the crystal malts.

Any comments or suggestions on this "style" or method? I was planning on 151-152 mash temp for at least 60 if not 90 mins.

152 is what I mash my Bitter American inspired American Bitter. I used a similar amount of Crystal malt. Maybe a little less. It turned out very well.

152-154 at 70min or so is the range I would shoot for, but it really depends on your set up. A little higher than average. But with 21% crystal malt (and most being 15L)? And a lower attenuating yeast? Maybe cooler or longer, even at 1.044 that may be sweeter/stickier than id find pleasant.

I've done a Bitter American based beer and I have always done 156, but I also use Cal Ale, instead of 1968. I use 88% Golden Promise as the base malt, 6% Munich and 6% split between C15 and C40.

Recipe looks fine. I like 20L and 60L but what you have will work fine. The sweetness will be about the same but the mouthfeel will be the main difference with mash temps. 150 is going to be a little thinner obviously but if it's what you are wanting in your beer? A thinner Summer slammer would be nice at 150. A little more mouthfeel and less alcohol at 156. You pick!:)

Latest posts

Back