Mash Recirculation Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I know I saw some threads over the years using loc-line for various parts of the brewery but I never got around to trying it. Since putting a recirculation/sparge port into the upper side of my keg based mash tun, I was not 100% satisfied with laying silicone tubing on top of my mash. It doesn't float so it kind of sinks too deep into the top of the grain bed. My solution was to use stainless wire to suspend it but it never worked all that well. I bit the bullet and got some loc-line segments and parts and man, what a blessing. I can now adjust to have the liquid pour right out over my grainbed in the upper liquid layer so it doesn't splash or bore into the grain. It has about 12" of adjustment to accommodate from 8 pounds of grain to 32. I'm so happy with it that I immediately bought a roll and put some kits up on brewhardware.com

Let me know what you think.

mashtube.png

Is that a male camlock fitting for the outside? Sold!

EDIT:

Wait I take that back. I have a bit more fiddling to do with my MLT before I could get that to work for me (cooler).

Well, my plan is to mount something like that in the lid, but it's still sort of a pain in the butt. I have been considering completely changing my MLT to a SS vessel that I could even direct fire if I wanted, but the one I have has worked so well for years, it's hard to let go.

Just ordered one. Been wanting to try something more adjustable. Need a couple of cams anyway, so ordered that too. Thanks Bobby.

I just modified my MLT to use the same thing...worked fantastically! I would highly recommend this. I was using silicone tubing resting on the grainbed, but it would often sink and affect my mash and recirc. With the locline you can set it to a curve to give you a nice gentle whirlpool and it stays put.

I called the makers of Loc Line. It's FDA rated food-safe up to 240* and won't soften (i.e. start to melt) until over 310*.

I'd highly recommend it.

They did say it's food safe up to at least boiling but they did say that the rigidity of the bent configuration could loosen up over 180F but it would only be an issue if you were putting a heavy load on it. Since we're not using it to support weight of anything but the liquid inside, it's fine. Besides, we're really only talking about using it for mash/sparge in the 150-180 range anyway.

ok, so i am a total *******. what does this do? does it circulate the water in the mash tun or is it used for fly sparge? i am building a new mashtun and might by one if i thought it would help with efficiency..

It's used if you're using a pump to recirculate the water in your mash tun so that you can maintain consistent temps throughout the mashing process (Search RIMS if you want more info).

Normally you would simply hang the recirculating tube (water going back into the mash tun) over the side of the kettle. With this kit you would need to drill another hole in the top portion of your kettle, install this kit and then you can adjust it so that the water returns to the mash at the exact level you want it at.

OK, thanks. that is what i thought, that it needed a pump. if was going to be a new fancy type i was going to get excited!

Back