Mash... or NOT to Mash.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrawkgeek

Reaction score
Hi. I was going to put on an my first IPA tomorrow morning, and I didn't know what to do with the grains. I think i should mash them, but I would love some expert info, if I could.

8.2 lbs pale extract
1 lbs Northwest Pale Ale Malt
1 lbs Vienna Malt
8 oz Crystal 30 Malt

Thanks for the help.

prg

Yes, mash. You have some base grain there.

What I suggest is always doing it as a mash- that way it's never wrong and only takes about 20 minutes more to let it sit those extra 20 minutes.

You can "steep" at 150-155 for 45 minutes, with 1-2 quarts of water per pound of grain, and it's a mash. So if you always do that, then every batch will be fine.

Are the grains cracked open already? There should be a muslin bag in the kit for steeping the grains like a tea bag for 15-30 min at 150-155F.

whole:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...i2xkjzx3O85jO0YHGR9J6YdetdfBJoz4BDuqlBDowt0cQ

crushed: http://www.home-brew-supplies-uk.co.uk/user/products/Pale-Malt-Home-Brew-Supplies-Uk.jpg

Yup. Bag is all crushed. I didn't know if i had to mash the Pale and Vienna Malts. I thought those were usually grains that you mashed. I've got a muslin bag to do it all in...

Yes, mash. You have some base grain there.

What I suggest is always doing it as a mash- that way it's never wrong and only takes about 20 minutes more to let it sit those extra 20 minutes.

You can "steep" at 150-155 for 45 minutes, with 1-2 quarts of water per pound of grain, and it's a mash. So if you always do that, then every batch will be fine.

Excellent. I like the sound of that. I thought I should mash in those grains. I didn't know tho... I like that. Thank you! To mash every time isn't a bad thing at all.

Latest posts

Back