Mash in morning, boil in evening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcodville

Reaction score
I'm tight for time lately, is there any problem with mashing in the morning, then after the kids go to bed boil and pitch? Or would there be some kind of problem with 12 in between the two?

Many of us have mashed in in the evening, and sparged and boiled next day. I'm sure many have also done it the way you're asking about. Just wrap it good and keep it warm.

You might consider mashing in right before time to deal with putting kids to bed. After they are in bed sparge, boil etc. It will make for a late night but works out pretty well. I do this some and find it works for me in my situation. I went to an electric HLT to facilitate this which let me have my hot water for mash then plenty of hot water ready to sparge as soon as kids are down.

How would it work with a no spare BIAB setup? After the grains are removed would the wort ok to sit if it was in the brew kettle with the lid on? I'm thinking I might just wait for a day with more time on my hands.

I'm tight for time lately, is there any problem with mashing in the morning, then after the kids go to bed boil and pitch? Or would there be some kind of problem with 12 in between the two?

I've done something along these lines. I mashed one day and boiled the next. I brought the wort up to a boil before i left it overnight, put the lid on the kettle and let it sit. That way i was sure that there was nothing in there to sour it. Of course, by the time it's up to a boil, it seems kind of silly to leave it there, but it was getting late by then.

I have done this. About a 8 hours in between mash and boil. I didn't take any crazy precautions, just covered the wort with a lid. figured that i was going to boil it anyways so it would kill anything that may have started moving in.

If you're going to do this then when you're done mashing bring the whole batch of sweet wort up to boiling temps, or close to, for 5-10 min. Then just leave it covered and walk away until the evening. This should kill of the majority of any wild yeast or microbe that would otherwise possibly spoil your wort in that 12 hrs window.

This is precautionary more than anything, as mash temps make it hard for things like lacto to survive. BUT, I've personally tried this before and found a nice pellicile covering the wort when I came back.

If you're going to do this then when you're done mashing bring the whole batch of sweet wort up to boiling temps, or close to, for 5-10 min. Then just leave it covered and walk away until the evening. This should kill of the majority of any wild yeast or microbe that would otherwise possibly spoil your wort in that 12 hrs window.

This is precautionary more than anything, as mash temps make it hard for things like lacto to survive. BUT, I've personally tried this before and found a nice pellicile covering the wort when I came back.

After the grains have soaked in 150+ water for an hour, there shouldn't be much surviving. At 150, pasteurization should happen in less than 10 minutes. Put a lid on to keep out the bacteria floating in the air and bring it to a boil first thing in the morning and you kill any bacteria that did get in there before they have a chance to multiply.

After the grains have soaked in 150+ water for an hour, there shouldn't be much surviving. At 150, pasteurization should happen in less than 10 minutes. Put a lid on to keep out the bacteria floating in the air and bring it to a boil first thing in the morning and you kill any bacteria that did get in there before they have a chance to multiply.

That makes good sense. I wonder then why the mash gets sour in a day or two. Do you think it's from bacteria entering after the mash has cooled?

For some peoples system by the time you transfer the wort to the boil kettle it may have cooled significantly.

Back