Mash and sparge in the evening and boil next morning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobby

Reaction score
Hi guys happy brewing, I biab and have few batches under my belt.Life got a little busy recently.,I wonder if I can mash and sparge in the evening and boil next morning?So for example.
8:00 pm. Start mashing for 60 min.
9:00 pm. sparge( usually I dunk sparge)
9:00-10:00 pm. bring it to boil
boil for 20 min.
cover the kettle off to bed.
next morning
8:00 am. start the boil again, do rest of the things,cool the wort, pitch the yeast.
It's about 10 hours gap between part one and two.

Is it okay to split your brew day? Or better not to?
Please share your experience.

There have been several people reporting good success doing just that. You'll be leaving pasteurized wort in a kettle with a lid. Not much will get in past the lid. Then you'll be pitching a lot of yeast that will overwhelm any bacteria that might have gotten in.

You may not have to bring it to a boil even. Not much bacteria can survive the mash temps.

You can get away with doughing in, then open it up in the morning to batch sparge and drain. No need for a boil prior. Bacteria is very slow growing and at sacch temps you are set to slow that growth. If you are less than 10hrs to boil you should be fine.

Interested in your system of mashing over night if you could post a timeline of how you do it. Just not sure on what happens to the mash after the hour at say 152F and it slowly cools off.

Thanks,
Jeff

When i overnite mash I start at ~9:00pm, you know the drill fill liquor kettles and weigh and grind grain while they heat up. Mash in as you normally do then do a 10 min pH check and then wrap a few quilts around it and go to bed. I have induction burners with 2 hr timers built in ,so I turn on the HLT at 1200 watts and when I rise it's close to mashout temp, so the day starts right after coffee. So you will loose some heat I got the idea after reading Gorden Strongs book where he talked about doing a reverse mash, starting at 154* and going down to 143* and that is what happens with mine,sometimes in winter it goes down to 139*, but I do this for beers that need high attenuation.

Seems feasible. I don't see the need to boil for 20 minutes after mashing. You could even mash overnight and sparge and boil in the morning.

Back