Maris Otter/Simcoe Smash Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benzene

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm trying my first smash recipe this weekend and wanted to get your thoughts:

12 lb Maris Otter
1 oz Simcoe @ 30
1 oz Simcoe @ 10
1 oz Simcoe @ Flame Out
1 oz Simcoe Dryhop
Mash @ 155 for 60 min
Safale S-04 English Ale @ 60 F

Thanks in advance!
Benzene

All Simcoe...Do you like Simcoe? It is pretty pungent, like cat piss on pine trees.

No 60 min bittering addition? I've made a Simcoe pale ale that I loved, although it wasn't a SMASH. I added munich, c-20 and a bit of wheat, and a small amount of homegrown cascade at 10 min and flameout. I had about 35 IBU's at 1.055, and it was well balanced with loads of hop aroma. I mashed at 152, and used safale 05. Apparently I like cat piss on pine trees because I thought it was fantastic! Sounds like you have a winner to me. :mug:

Hi All, I'm trying my first smash recipe this weekend and wanted to get your thoughts:

12 lb Maris Otter
1 oz Simcoe @ 30
1 oz Simcoe @ 10
1 oz Simcoe @ Flame Out
1 oz Simcoe Dryhop
Mash @ 155 for 60 min
Safale S-04 English Ale @ 60 F

Thanks in advance!
Benzene

I'm thinking you might have a question about your recipe. Care to share?

Cheers!

I want to hear how it turns out. Just brewed a 10 lbs 2 row, 2 oz of Amarillo leaf. I was torn between MO and 2 row but decided on Montana 2 row. An all Montana brew. Good luck.

Never done a SMaSH with Simcoe, but I did a Maris/Cascade/US-05 last summer. It produced a nice, crisp pale ale. Maris will give you a nice, biscuity malt flavor.

I think you'll end up with a really nice beer.

Looks good to me too. I've got the Row 2 Hill 56 clone ready to keg and the sample sure was nice. I don't get the cat piss thing, I think you either do or you don't with simcoe. Do you have your IBU's calculated? That would be my only concern about no 60 min addition, if the IBU are where you want them I'd say you're fine.

Thanks for the feed back. I've been playing around with the IBUs in Beersmith. I think i may go wit a .5 oz at 60 min instead of the 30 min. I don't want it super bitter, and that will give an IBU/OG of about 0.7, total is 44. We'll see. Thanks.

All Simcoe...Do you like Simcoe? It is pretty pungent, like cat piss on pine trees.
Yeah, an all Simcoe beer would suck. :rolleyes:

weyerbacher-double-simcoe.jpg

glad I saw this tread. I'm doing the same brew on Saturday and I've spent way too long changing around my hop schedule. I'm going with 1028 for yeast though. good luck with your brew.

Back