March Pump location good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoCardinals09

Reaction score
I have already mounted one of my two March pumps like this....

After some reading I found that I may want to turn the head of the pump 90 degrees so that the outlet is pointing up to help with priming. Any thoughts if that would help with priming even though the pumps are pretty low on my stand? Or can I keep it how it is?

Thanks!!! :mug:

I use a couple that are horizontal and they are low enough they seem to prime just as good as the other one that I have pointing vertical. Never tried any kind of side by side test to see if one holds prime better or anything, but I think you're fine. Only thing I'd do is get some kind of splash gaurd over the pump... but I tend to be messy so ymmv.

Gduck said:
I use a couple that are horizontal and they are low enough they seem to prime just as good as the other one that I have pointing vertical. Never tried any kind of side by side test to see if one holds prime better or anything, but I think you're fine. Only thing I'd do is get some kind of splash gaurd over the pump... but I tend to be messy so ymmv.

Good point about the splash guard. I would hate to have a boil over and get lots o hops in the pump!

Back