Maple Mash Paddle - Mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drudini11

Reaction score
I purchased a really nice Hand Carved Mash Paddle last year made from Maple. After brewing I clean and sanitize the heck out of this and leave it out to air dry. Picked it up this morning to discover some nice green mold grew around some of the holes. Soaked this is boiling hot water and some star san but still seems to have mold stains and I am nervous about using this in my mash. Thinking about just hanging this on the wall above my bar and switching to a SS Mash Paddle that I know I can keep properly sanitized. Anyone else have mold issues with their wooden mash paddles. Probably doesn't help that all my brew equipment is stored in the garage which can get a bit damp.

Seems like you got it all figured out by yourself...

iirc, in the olde days, fermenting organisms were introduced in the cooled wort with a wooden paddle. Even though sanitation practices were not quite the thing at this era, I trust SS/aluminium for everything.

I would not be concerned using the paddle in the mash, that is why you boil the wort.

Raw grain has millions of mold fungus bacteria wild yeast in it already.

RDWHAHB

I would not be concerned using the paddle in the mash, that is why you boil the wort.

RDWHAHB

Sure, but washing and sanitizing before stirring up a whirlpool in the boiled and cooled wort would not be such a good idea, imo. I wouldn't be confident if I had a slow fermentation start after that, as it would leave plenty of time for some unwanted friends to crash the party. Just don't use it post-boil.

I wouldn't stir boiled and cooled wort with wood, sanitized of cleaned whatever.

On the contrary, I would stir a mash with almost anything that doesn't have bird poop on it, buy there is probably some of that on the grain anyway, so no worries.

RDWHAHB

I wouldn't stir boiled and cooled wort with wood, sanitized of cleaned whatever.

On the contrary, I would stir a mash with almost anything that doesn't have bird poop on it, buy there is probably some of that on the grain anyway, so no worries.

pretty much all of this. It's a mash paddle....grain is generally covered in rodent urine and feces among other things, very few things you could put in the mash are worse than that.

pretty much all of this. It's a mash paddle....grain is generally covered in rodent urine and feces among other things, very few things you could put in the mash are worse than that.
Now that's going to go through my mind every time I see grain now... thanks! :cross:

What do you use to sanitise the mash paddle?
I'm wondering what it was sealed with, if anything, and whether that protection was washed/scrubbed off. There might be something to seal it with after cleaning it up (may have to sand it back depending on the mold damage), but while I know that olive oil is good for a cooking spatula, I've no idea what you'd use on a Mash Paddle.

I can think of just one, highly unlikely exception; a wooden mash paddle that is stored submerged in a barrel of whisky (That'd be nice!).

Don't waste your money on the butcher block oil, it's just mineral oil with a bit of bees wax mixed in. You can get mineral oil for a few bucks from CVS (sold as a laxative :ban: ) and finish your paddle with that, or melt in some bees wax and presto, diy "butcher block oil"

I'd suggest not finishing the wood, however, as the oil could affect the ability to hold a head.

I've a wood paddle. Use it for everything. Afterwards, I make sure there's no bits stuck to it, spray it down with some BEST and hose it off. It's stored in my brew closet. No problems.

Back