Mangrove Jack's M20 Bavarian Wheat yeast advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanAusBrewer

Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to brew a batch of the lemon lime hefe weizen and am going to use Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat yeast. Up until now I have been predominately brewing American ales with US-05. Any recommendations on how I should treat this yeast any differently than what I am currently doing for my ales? Which is essentially swamp chiller in Sydney winter (around 17-19 deg C).

I just used it - haven't had a chance to taste it yet, but at 65F it took off in a flash - I was done with primary fermentation in 48hrs, had a good krausen on it for a dry yeast. It heats up fast, so keep it cool. So far it's flocked down better than I thought it would, but it's not opaque through like I've seen some hefe's.

Looking forward to seeing how it tastes compared to the standard (Weihenstephan).

Ok thanks for the advice. Actually it's a bit colder than I expected in the apartment with temperature of my swamp chiller around 16 deg C so temperature should be ok. Is there any risk of undesirable flavours from fermenting too cold?

Word I've heard is lots of clove if fermented cold - can't substantiate it yet though.

Good luck!

Brewing a wheat pale ale (a la Gumballhead) with even amounts of citra and Amarillo and going to try this yeast out tonight. I'll report back in a few weeks. Any updates from people who've used it?

This actually turned out to be my favorite batch so far. The hops combo is very refreshing. The hefe character is minimal but I'm planning on rebrewing this all grain in a couple weeks. Unfortunately I don't have gumballhead in TX so can't do a side by side.

This actually turned out to be my favorite batch so far. The hops combo is very refreshing. The hefe character is minimal but I'm planning on rebrewing this all grain in a couple weeks. Unfortunately I don't have gumballhead in TX so can't do a side by side.

Hey Smfish, ive historically had fairly disappointing results with dried wheat beer yeasts (my complaints mainly at Fermentis WB-06 which I find is far too attenuative even with a silly amount of crystal in the grist. I have an experiment running with T-58 atm, but I have reservations about this ending up at the other end of the spectrum). Anyway Im always on the prowl for a predictable _medium_ attenuating wheatbeer yeast - and im dead keen on getting to know this M20 a little better. What was your experience here:
1. Attenuation - medium (75%ish?) like it says on the tin?
2. Flavor Profile - standard stuff, clove when cold, banana when hot, nothing crazy?

thanks in advance

Try using 1968 for your yeast next time. Ive gotten some beers pretty close with this strain (my buddy had a ZD before coming over to try my clone, and said it was probably 80% cloned). Just a thought.

My dad and I brewed a batch that he calls a honey weissbock using this yeast.

It fermented around 65 degrees and didn't seem to take off very well even with good aeration and rehydrating the yeast (granted, this sucker had a high starting ABV), so he pitched another pack after about 4 days.

Took off like crazy once it was properly pitched and after 3 weeks in the primary, it was pretty darn tasty. It let the flavors play themselves without any alcohol hotness, which was a nice feature.

I recommend it, but make sure you pitch enough to match the gravity if you're going big.

Hey Smfish, ive historically had fairly disappointing results with dried wheat beer yeasts (my complaints mainly at Fermentis WB-06 which I find is far too attenuative even with a silly amount of crystal in the grist. I have an experiment running with T-58 atm, but I have reservations about this ending up at the other end of the spectrum). Anyway Im always on the prowl for a predictable _medium_ attenuating wheatbeer yeast - and im dead keen on getting to know this M20 a little better. What was your experience here:
1. Attenuation - medium (75%ish?) like it says on the tin?
2. Flavor Profile - standard stuff, clove when cold, banana when hot, nothing crazy?

thanks in advance

If I remember correctly, the attenuation was pretty much right around 75%. It was a partial mash though with ~75% LME (half wheat, half extra light). Really didn't get very hot so I didn't appreciate any banana. Slight clove probably but it stayed in the high 60s/low 70s. I mostly used it out of necessity as I didn't have the equipment for a starter yet, and honestly probably could've gotten away without one, but it turned out good. Had a lot of positive feedback on it.

Ok, so it's been a while since anyone have posted on this thread... I'm busy with an Amber Weiss partial mash. OG 1.05. Pitched the M20 that came with the kit but made starter on stir plate 3 days before brew day. Pitched at room temp which was about 70degrees, temp in fermenter peaked at 75, then settled at 71. Most of primary fermentation completed in 36 hours with gravity coming down to 1.019 (expecting FG of 1.013). The sample tasted pretty awful to be honest (hence I'm looking around the forums) but I remain positive that the yeast will do it's thing in the next week or so. Will let you know how it turns out in a month or so. :mug:

Ok, so it's been a while since anyone have posted on this thread... I'm busy with an Amber Weiss partial mash. OG 1.05. Pitched the M20 that came with the kit but made starter on stir plate 3 days before brew day. Pitched at room temp which was about 70degrees, temp in fermenter peaked at 75, then settled at 71. Most of primary fermentation completed in 36 hours with gravity coming down to 1.019 (expecting FG of 1.013). The sample tasted pretty awful to be honest (hence I'm looking around the forums) but I remain positive that the yeast will do it's thing in the next week or so. Will let you know how it turns out in a month or so. :mug:

Hello, is there anything new? How did it turn out?

Hey, guys. I apologize for raising this thread from the dead. I'm having some issue with sulfur kick off from m20. Anyone else have this? When will it clean up?

On Monday, 13 June, and again on Wednesday, 15 June, I brewed a 1-gallon batch of smoked wheat using this yeast (2 batches total, 2 gallons total).

Fermentation took off quite well with the first batch, and so far I am having no issues with this yeast.

I plan to use it again for an Edelweiss and an "Afternoon Wheat" ale, both to be brewed in the (hopefully) near future. I'll also have two brews using DanStar's equivalent for comparison: a 50/50 Maris Otter/Wheat ale and an American Wheat ale. The former (I'm calling it "OtterWeizen") is already in the bottle, but the American Wheat will not be brewed until later this summer.

Hopefully, these will provide some comparisons between the two yeasts. We'll see how it turns out.

Hey, guys. I apologize for raising this thread from the dead. I'm having some issue with sulfur kick off from m20. Anyone else have this? When will it clean up?

Hey Bransona, I currently have a Weißbier on this same yeast in the primary with a lot of Sulphur (sulfur for the search engines) - I see you noted the same.

How did yours pan out?

Did it clean itself up?
Any tips?

Adding my (ongoing) experience to this thread. I brewed a Dunkelweizen at 1.064. Fermentation started up vigorously at about 68 degrees F, and when I checked a week later it had stuck at 1.022. Only 64% apparent attenuation. Got the same reading two days apart. So I pitched a starter of a second neutral strain at high krausen to dry it up, which it looks to be doing. I probably won't return to M20.

My experience with this yeast is an Extract brew Hefeweizen, O.G.=1.050, 60% wheat 40% light pale ale. The fermentation temperature was the maximum temp of the strain (28 c, 82 F). Just 2 weeks primary, then bottling with 3.5 vol CO2, 2 weeks at (24 c, 75 F), then at (9 c, 48 F) just for 1 day before drinking. The flocculation was a little more than what I'd like for a Hefe. The app att =67 %. But I'm drinking it and enjoying a nice balanced banana flavour.

For the record, just used the M20 yeast in quite a low gravity standard pale hefeweizen (1.042). Attenuation was 76.2% after 2 weeks in primary, the first at 24C and the second at 22C. Pitched 1 pack in 16.5 litres.

Huge amounts of sulphur/sulfur during fermentation. This did die back eventually after maybe a week of near-zero airlock activity, but it wasn't wholly gone when I kegged. Before kegging I stirred it gently with a copper pipe while bubbling CO2 through for about 5 mins. It may have been my imagination, but I think that cured the final slight whiff.

Flavour profile is exactly as per the description, in my view: "banana and clove esters balanced with spiced aromas", at least when fermented at the temperatures above. The 'spiced aromas' did remind me a bit of a Belgian wit, which wasn't what I was aiming for, and it has a bit of lemon character (maybe my imagination, or to do with sourness from the grain bill). So not 100% typical for a hefeweizen. Still produced a beer that I like. I'd definitely pick this over WB-06.

Old thread reboot...

I'm using M20 yeast in a wheat beer this week and it's not going to be a traditional Bavarian wheat. I'm including a munich-equivalent (Franco-Belges aromatic), a small amount of C15, and hopping it to APA levels (3 oz late hops in 5 gal). My option is to go with EKG hops, which I know will work. Sort of a Bavarian wheat on steroids. Or, orrr... I go with US amarillo or Azacca. Leaning toward Azacca as i haven't tried it yet.

My question is... for those who have used M20, will the US hops clash with this yeast? Thanks in advance!

No response. 😞

I brewed this 3 weeks ago, deciding to go with azacca hops. Kegged it yesterday and the gravity sample tasted good. The yeast and hops seem to be playing well together, but I'll have a better sense when I sample the chilled and partially carbonated beer this evening.

Back