Mangrove Jack's M02 Cider yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawka

Reaction score
I'm totally new with making cider.

I've recently found M02 Cider Yeast by Mangrove Jack's available at local brewing store. Tried search about them but Mr. Internet was silent. Have you guys tried this yeast? Can you share some experience?

What I like about M02 - recommended fermentation temperature 18-24 degrees C (64-75 degrees F) - just perfect for fermentation in my living room. But this worries me as well if cider will not be cloudy after fermentation in such temperature?

Any feedback is welcome.

Should clear just fine, it says it has high flocculation characteristics. I haven't used it yet, but I have a packet of this yeast in the fridge, waiting for temps to drop so I can use it in a cider. I know the directions say "sprinkle directly on the surface," but I plan on rehydrating & growing a 1 gallon starter as I'll be pitching into 15 gallons of juice. Just sprinkling on the surface results in a very long lag time; I'd rather proof the yeast & get on with fermentation.
Regards, GF.

UPDATE after fermentation

I've just racked my cider yesterday to another bucket. Cider with M02 yeasts was kept in fermenter for 2 weeks. Temperature was 21-22 degrees C. Yeasts have pushed the first bubble from airlock after 14 hours since pitching. After 24 hours it was bubbling as AK47. They eat all sugar starting from OG 1.050 to 1.000. Overall impression is good. Let's wait for next steps..

I'v made several 5gal batches with it. I really like it, need to order more actually.

Just trying this for the first time ourselves, what is good about this yeast vs like Notti? WVMJ

I like the flavor it brings. It leaves great aroma and produces a pretty good ABV. It ferments at room temp. As well it works fairly quickly. There is yeast nutrient in the packet already mixed in with the yeast it self. One Packet does six gallons so if you do small batch you will need to divide it by weight. Using it with 5gal is no problem.
I have not used Notti so can't compare. I have used M2, and Pri De Mux or how ever the hell it is spelled. MJ is sweeter with better Apple aroma and flavor.

Just started another 5g batch tonight. Well actually started last night pitched tonight.

I think I have killed this yeast.

Was brewing two beers two days ago and decided to also make a quick and dirty cider when boiling the beer wort.
In between hop additions I poured 6 gallons of apple juice in the bucket and added the rehydrated pack of yeast.

To cut a long story short I forgot that it was only 50 F where I stored the juice and it was rehydrated in 80F water.

As I was mixing it up it dawned on me :eek:
I put it into the fermentation chamber at 65F and after a few hours it reached this temperature but 2 days later the airlock is still not bubbling.
There is however about an inch of foam on top of the juice.
Hopefully it kicks off in the next day, if not I'll throw a pack of Nottingham in there as I don't have anymore cider yeast

Shame, I was looking forward to trying out a true cider yeast.
Last few times I used a wine yeast.

It might just be a bad seal, check the gravity but it sounds like it is fermenting

It might just be a bad seal, check the gravity but it sounds like it is fermenting

Thanks for the advice but it looks like it's finally working now :tank:

I checked again after work today and still no activity.
So I just shook the **** out of it for a minute and after that there was activity.
I thought first it was just air coming out due to the movement of the liquid in the bucket but a good three hours later and it is still blubbing away. :ban:

My guess is that is fermented for a few hours overnight on the second night but then stalled for some reason. Funny that it started straight away after shaking. I would have expected a least a bit of a lag.

The strange behaviour probably has to do with how I treated it; hopefully there are no off-flavours as a result.

I'll let it ferment out and have a taste when it is finished; then I will see if I need to add some malic acid and tanins (via strong tea) in the secondary.

S

When you shook it up you released the stored CO2 gas in your cider, means its working, not that you stimulated a bunch of new activity. Careful shaking it up later when it has even more gas in it. WVMJ

I made a big apple cherry cider, Starting gravity of 1.076. I pitched 1 packet of yeast. Next morning she was already going to town. This yeast works fast with little foam build up. Cold crashed it in my kegerator for 2 weeks and was crystal clear. Amazing flavor, my wife who I made it for said it would stack up against most commercial ciders she has had. I would highly recommend this yeast. This does ferment on the dry side, so you may need to back sweeten if you don't like dry cider.

Back