Mangrove Jack's for first cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5WTFLYBUM

Reaction score
Has anyone used this yeast and can you lend an idea of what my finished cider might turn out to be.

Recipe:
3 gallons Gravenstein unfiltered flash pasteurized
2 gallons Mixed variety flash pasteurized
1lb dark brown sugar
1 pck Mangrove Jack's craft cider yeast M02
5 grams Fermaid
1 can of concentrate to flavor and prime at bottling

It is fermenting very fervently. It is in the corner of the dinning room wrapped in blankets, light and temp protection, staying at 60 to 65 degrees. It smells great and I'm pretty excited. My daughter even decided she had to try for herself and is now reading and been to the local brew shop twice.

I understand that this will most likely not turn out like Hornsby's, however that is what I would eventually like to replicate.

So what do you think of what I have in the works and what could I do to get where I want to be?

I just cracked open the first mangrove jack cider that has been in the bottle 4 weeks. I am amazed at how good this stuff tastes! I have brewed apfelwein and grahams hard cider and this is even better. The fruit flavor us more pronounced and it tastes more like angry orchard or hornsbys. Sweeter. I am very pleaed with these kits. I did a pear and the berry. Added a quart of pure raspberry juice to the berry about 5 days before bottling.

Thanks for the reply. How long did you ferment in the primary and then the secondary? Did you bottle carb? How long since you bottled?

Thanks for the input I am having trouble waiting.:D

I fermented in around 12 days or so. Carbonated and tasted it at 28 days in the bottle. I will be making this again. Much better than any recipe I've followed. Incredibly good.

barton, did you use one of their cider kits, or just their cider yeast to ferment your own cider recipe?

Okay so I racked to secondary yesterday. I love the Quick siphon tool that the LHBS advised that I get. I pulled enough to do a SG test it was 1.01 though I do not have an OSG. I also tasted it it tasted like a very dry white wine with a hint of apple. So I added a can of apple juice concentrate and enough water to top it off. Set a sanitized bung and airlock and I now wait I figure another month. It is not clear however it is a nice amber.
Well this is just an update but any input would be nice.

Wow this actually turned out to be some good stuff. I will defiantly make it again. After the second fermentation due to my own stupidity I bottled and let it sit about 3 to 4 weeks and wow!:drunk: I think the second fermentation gave it a good kick.

5WTFLYBUM
How long did you let it sit in secondary fermentation? Was it only a month? Did it clear at all and was it full of carbination? have 6 gallons on with fresh pressed juice.

I made a cider recently with Mangrove Jack cider yeast (M-02). It was 5 gallons of Mott's apple juice with one packet of the yeast. I let it ferment at room temperature, which was 74 F, but it got up to 78 F during fermentation. It was a busy fermentation that took about 10 days, but I let it sit for 3 weeks to make sure it was finished. Final S.G. was about 1.000.

It did indeed add lots of nice fruity esters (as they advertise), but it completely stripped out all of the apple taste -- or at least it's buried in there somewhere deep where I cannot find it. It's been in a bottle for about 6 weeks and I still cannot taste any apple.

Cote Des Blancs is my favorite cider yeast so far but I like WLP775 too.

Latest posts

Back