Mild yeast taste and smell in cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noTimeForCaution

Reaction score
Process:
1. 2 Gallon store bought pasteurized, no preservatives 100% apple juice.
Brix reading 12
2. DAP 1tsp
3. 1/2 pkt Mangrove M02
4. Basement stays at 60-65F
5. Sanitized everything.

Started bubbling after a day, fermentation stopped like in 5 days. Final Brix reading 5 hasn't changed.

After 1 month in primary, I could taste and smell yeast. It was dry and crystal clear.

Now it's sitting in secondary for over a month, the taste has improved but I can still taste yeast. No other off flavors.

1. Do all homebrew ciders have a hint of yeast flavor?
2. Many seem to get "great" ciders within a month, how do they get rid of yeast flavors?
3. Or am I just too sensitive to yeast flavor?

Both my primary and secondary fermentation bucket have faucet. I transferred to secondary without disturbing the yeast cake. Drank 1/2 cup of cider from secondary after a month, there is noticable yeast flavor especially when I burped.

I am brewing for Christmas, do I have enough time(2 more months) to get this flavor off and bottle condition?

Newbie to fermentation, been following this group, recipes.

Thanks

Sounds like what you described would be fine. I never really thought about that my ciders might have a yeast taste unless I'm sampling a few ounces from directly off the sediment. I would say no, seems you should pretty easily get clear, non-yeast tasting product.

M02 has been a fast and clean performer for me. Maybe start a new batch and see how that goes. I would be suspicious about that much contact with plastic and could imagine that being one source of what you're describing. Maybe switch to a glass carboy, additionally could throw in a quart of pom or tart cherry.

Time wise, if your taste problem gets resolution you should be able to produce good beverage in around three weeks if you're so inclined. Good luck

Last edited:
That's a good point, as I am sampling off the faucet, the samples probaby has higher yeast in suspension. I'll try sampling from the top.

Darn, I invested in 4 buckets, I thought it will be easier with the faucet compared to a carboy and siphon. I'll try your suggestions, if they dont work I'll switch to glass carboy.

Do keeping too long in primary introduce yeast flavors?

Sounds like what you described would be fine. I never really thought about that my ciders might have a yeast taste unless I'm sampling a few ounces from directly off the sediment. I would say no, seems you should pretty easily get clear, non-yeast tasting product.

M02 has been a fast and clean performer for me. Maybe start a new batch and see how that goes. I would be suspicious about that much contact with plastic and could imagine that being one source of what you're describing. Maybe switch to a glass carboy, additionally could throw in a quart of pom or tart cherry.

Time wise, if your taste problem gets resolution you should be able to produce good beverage in around three weeks if you're so inclined. Good luck
I just tasted a sample scouped from the top, and it taste excellent. You're right, the yeast is still in suspension closer to the bottom. I am cold crashing it, may try adding gelatin to speed up the process.

Thanks a lot.

Back