Mangrove Jack M21 re-animates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhite60

Reaction score
Bottled a nice wheat beer after two weeks and two equal gravity readings at my expected FG.

Seems though it took off again in the bottle. I use PET bottles for the most part and it really swelled them, see picture.
These are Coopers 740ml bottles. You can see the shape of the bottle on the left at the top is deformed and has been rounded.

I had some clear 1 liter soda bottles do the same thing. They are certainly stretched.

Beer tastes fine so I'm not thinking infection. I read a post some time ago about leaving this yeast go for four weeks as it tends to stall then take off again. Lesson learned. By the time I read the post it was in the bottle, too bad. Going to be WB-06 from here on.

So, keep the damaged ones or toss them? I think I'm going to toss them as they've been severely stressed. Glad I didn't put any of this in glass.

20210704_085510.jpg

Loosen the cap a bit to let out some CO2, then re-cap. Put them in a big plastic tub just in case they swell up again.

There's another thread where some people have had the same M21 zombie fermentations starting up again. I brewed a Wit a couple months ago where it did that. Airlock activity drops to zero, then at about 2 weeks, it starts up again.

Loosen the cap a bit to let out some CO2, then re-cap. Put them in a big plastic tub just in case they swell up again.

There's another thread where some people have had the same M21 zombie fermentations starting up again. I brewed a Wit a couple months ago where it did that. Airlock activity drops to zero, then at about 2 weeks, it starts up again.

I've vented them all, or what's left of them. Great yeast, incredible flavor, just not predictable.

Hate to lose the bottles but I can get more.

Back