Mango Pulp Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have any one tried this wine using Bourbon mango pulp?

I have two bourbon mango trees (32 and 30 years old) in my backyard and I am getting so much mangos that I don't know what to do with then (maybe a wine :p ).

How long can I refrigerate the mango pulp? (since I don't have all the wine gear , but intend to get it next month ).

Have any one tried this wine using Bourbon mango pulp?

I have two bourbon mango trees (32 and 30 years old) in my backyard and I am getting so much mangos that I don't know what to do with then (maybe a wine :p ).

How long can I refrigerate the mango pulp? (since I don't have all the wine gear , but intend to get it next month ).

I would freeze it personally. They say freezing the fruit helps break down the fibers anyway to let more of the juices out, or something like that.

How do you decide when it is ready to bottle? Mine looks like this right now and it has been a bit over a month since I started it. I did a 3 gallon batch so I could transfer it to 2 1-gallon carboys, which came out perfect. The gravity is supposedly .973, which if correct means it is like 18-19% alcohol.. I'm hoping that's not right due to the initial measurement with all of the pulp in it. I only put in 4 cups of sugar per gallon. (29 brix initial reading ~1.113)

bg4u4AX.jpg

If you can read a newspaper thru the carboy it is ready to bottle. I usually add some sparkalloid and stabilize about this time of the process to clear it out thoroughly. Then once cleared, you can back sweeten to your taste and then bottle. I usually sweeten a glass of the stabilize wine to my wife's taste, then take a gravity reading of that sample. I then gradually back sweeten the batch until it is at that gravity reading.

I think that with a gravity reading of 29 brix you are most likely correct and that it is at 18+%ABV. http://www.brewersfriend.com/brix-converter/

I use a refractometer to get the SG on my batches of mango pulp wine to get the best reading.

If you can read a newspaper thru the carboy it is ready to bottle. I usually add some sparkalloid and stabilize about this time of the process to clear it out thoroughly. Then once cleared, you can back sweeten to your taste and then bottle. I usually sweeten a glass of the stabilize wine to my wife's taste, then take a gravity reading of that sample. I then gradually back sweeten the batch until it is at that gravity reading.

I think that with a gravity reading of 29 brix you are most likely correct and that it is at 18+%ABV. http://www.brewersfriend.com/brix-converter/

I use a refractometer to get the SG on my batches of mango pulp wine to get the best reading.

Yeah that's the calculator I used. That means there was WAAAY too much sugar in there when I started. I might have to do the same thing as others and do a 2nd batch without extra sugar just to blend them together. I'll have to see if it's clear enough to read through. It is pretty clear.

Yeah that's the calculator I used. That means there was WAAAY too much sugar in there when I started. I might have to do the same thing as others and do a 2nd batch without extra sugar just to blend them together. I'll have to see if it's clear enough to read through. It is pretty clear.

I use 2 Kilos of sugar to get me in the 10-12% range (depends on the Mangos at that point). I typically use EC1118 for the Mango wine, which can go 18-20% if you give it enough sugar.

Here is a blending calculator http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/blending.asp that will help on figuring out what to make for the blending batch...

I have been using Sparkalloid to clear out my mango wine at about day 30 and it will be clear within a week. I also stabilize at the same time.

I used k1-v1116 (montpellier) yeast in mine. That stuff gets going pretty good. I have another batch I started a few days ago of strawberry wine and it too is bubbling up a storm.

So it seems if I get another batch that is 8% alcohol and mix it 1:1 that'll put me at 13%.

Is there a good rule of thumb or calculator to figure out what starting gravity I'd need to end up at a target ABV?

Way to go HB! Now you need to author a new thread on date wines and rename yourself the Bahrain Kid! Your wife can be the Manama Mama!

I just racked my 2nd batch from the 3 gallon down to 2 1 gallon carboys last night. It's only 5% ABV which should give me 11.5-12% when mixed with my first batch.

Did anyone figure out a way to filter this stuff? I just racked from primary after about two weeks and I lost about a fifth of my brew. This stuff seems very difficult to separate.

My method is to just siphon it off and cry as you dump 1/3 of it down the drain ;)

My method is to just siphon it off and cry as you dump 1/3 of it down the drain ;)

Eeeek. Maybe I'll try putting the pulp in a fine mesh bag for primary next time and try and "lift" most of it out after the initial flurry of fermentation is over. Yeah gonna loose about 1/3 :(

I have a large headroom in my carboy now. I sparged the carboy with CO2 before racking and then put some more CO2 on top once done racking. I think I'm going to remove the airlock at this point and screw the cap on for an airtight seal. Does anyone think I will get oxidation from this setup?

IMG_0837.jpg

Hey guys. I have made this recipe before and my wife and I loved the wine. The only downside is volume loss. We started the last batch with 2 gallons and the end result was only 2 bottles of wine. Since then, we have learned more about clarifying agents, but I am still wondering what else we could do to curb volume loss.

We are aiming to end up with 3 gallons of ~12% wine when we bottle, so we will be using less sugar than the recipe lists. My current thought is to start with 5 gallons and add the clarifying agent right after the first racking, so that we will hopefully only need to rack it a second time. I think we racked the first batch around 5 times. Would 5 gallons starting volume be enough to result in 3 gallons of finished wine? Could we start with 4.5 gallons?

The other issue is that I only have 2 5-gallon buckets and 2 3-gallon carboys. I don't think I could fit more than 4 gallons of wine in the 5 gallon buckets, but I worry that splitting the batch into 2 buckets for primary would result in more volume loss. Would it work to leave out 1 gallon of water from the recipe and then add it after racking to the secondary? Even if that is possible, it would make the sugar/alcohol % calculations more difficult. Do you guys have any recommendations on starting volume, containers, and the idea of a later water addition?

Many thanks,
M4rotku

I started with 6 gallons and ended up with 4.. but that was in 2 3 gallon batches (had to make a weak one to blend with the first which was waaaay too strong). I actually just bought more mango yesterday to start a new batch of this. I want to end up with more mango flavor this time. I was thinking about adding a can of pulp after the fermentation stops, both to add the mango flavor, and to sweeten it before bottling (after stabilizing of course).

I think the solution is to just make more. It's only a few dollars per gallon so you might as well increase the batch size to end up with the volume you want after the 1/3 loss.

I started with 6 gallons and ended up with 4.. but that was in 2 3 gallon batches (had to make a weak one to blend with the first which was waaaay too strong). I actually just bought more mango yesterday to start a new batch of this. I want to end up with more mango flavor this time. I was thinking about adding a can of pulp after the fermentation stops, both to add the mango flavor, and to sweeten it before bottling (after stabilizing of course).

I realized right after posting this that I'd lose another 1/3 of the volume if I add more mango after fermentation. I think I'll double the mango amount next time. My wine turned out really thin. It has kind of a light fresh taste like pear juice. It is ok but I want way more mango flavor if possible.

I started with 6 gallons and ended up with 4.. but that was in 2 3 gallon batches (had to make a weak one to blend with the first which was waaaay too strong).

Wow, I was just logging in to reply to this thread with an almost IDENTICAL comment! At one point I made a six gallon batch, but when I realized that I added sugar in kilogram measures instead of lb measures (which is a little over twice as much, BTW), I made a second batch with no sugar as a blender. See my notes below as to how I learned to deal with the pulp.

I'm going to paste in my notes from this (these?) batch (batches?):

A blend of the following recipe and the same again with no sugar:

12 30 ounce cans of mango pulp (I used Kesar - see notes)
6 kg Table Sugar (THIS WAS MY PROBLEM, 6LB was in my notes, which should have been 3 kg)
10 L water (you may need to top up later, test SG before doing so however)
9 tsp acid blend
3 tsp pectic enzyme
6 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tsp yeast energizer
1.5 tsp tannin
Fruit/skins bag
1 pkg Bentonite
1 pkg Lalvin EC-1118 yeast

Make a Bentonite slurry with 1 litre of very hot water, dissolve in the acid blend, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and pectic enzyme. Dissolve the tannin in a separate container with a cup of water and add to this mix. Once blended, continue to add very hot water and table sugar in gradual steps, stirring well to ensure the sugar is dissolved.

Once this mix is ready, pour the mango pulp cans into a fruit bag held over the primary, tie the bag shut and place it into the primary, then stir well. Yes, quite a bit of pulp will escape the bag -- that's okay. Don't ever squeeze the bag...

Once cooled to room temperature, sprinkle the yeast over the surface and fit an airlock.

Rack from primary to secondary when SG hits 1.010 or less.

Note 1: I made two batches as I added double the sugar to the first and if it fermented dry it would have hit 20 percent ABV. The second batch used no added sugar, so would have hit 4 percent ABV at best. By mixing them they netted out at 12 percent ABV. After letting the second batch get started for a day or so I transferred half of it into a new primary, then added half of the first batch to the same new primary. I poured the other half of the first batch into the original second batch primary, then made sure both new batches were well blended. When both appeared finished I racked (most of - see note 4) half of each of them into a 6 gallon carboy, then (most of - see note 4) the remaining volume to a second 6 gallon carboy. I allowed the fermentation to complete, then racked the clear liquid to a new 5 gallon carboy and only needed a 3 gallon to take the rest of the clear product. I did top up the 3 gallon a bit. After racking a second time I ensured the 5 gallon was full and topped up the 3 gallon a little bit again. When I filtered before bottling I drew roughly half of the 3 gallon into my bottling carboy, then filtered roughly half of the 5 gallon -- of course, when I emptied the bottling carboy I filtered the remainder and completed my bottling process.

Note 2: Mango pulp cans on sale for Ramadan at FreshCo. - $1.49 down from $1.99

Note 3: This Kesar mango pulp is shipped at 15° brix, so that is factored in. The mango pulp will cause the hydrometer to float far too high or get stuck in the pulp to measure accurately.

Note 4: IMPORTANT TIP: USE THE FRUIT BAG!!! It seems like a gallon of pulp is left behind in the fruit bag when racking from the primary - don't squeeze it, but if you want you can let it drip.

Note 5: This wine needs 3-4 months to clarify. Chitosan/Kieselsol were used after second racking. You may need to use the clarifers twice.

I found a photo of the wine, just after I racked it from the two primaries, and another before I filtered (check out the sediment on the ribs of the carboy):

1.png

Untitled.png

Last edited:
It looks like I never posted a pic of mine when it was done. I only have a few bottles left now.

GkkBORC.jpg

YUAXkSi.jpg

This is a great thread. I made some mango habanero hot sauce last night, and was thinking about what else I could do with fresh mangos (they are pretty cheap and on sale right now down here).

Of course, I search mango wine and lots of stuff on HBT. You guys are awesome.

I started a 3 gallon batch tonight with double the mango (6 cans) and not so much sugar. It should end up around 12% ABV if I did it right. This time I am trying Lalvin 71b-1122 "Narbonne" yeast. I won't end up with 19% alcohol this time. It was bubbling up a storm the morning after I pitched the yeast.

I ended up with 8 bottles from my original 3 gallons. I'll see how it turned out in a few months. I think it's better than my first batch. This one fermented and cleared up really fast.
t9luVw9h.jpg

Just as a follow up. My latest batch is now about 6 months old from primary and it is significantly better than say 3,4,5 months. This wine definitely smooths out and the mango flavor really starts to come out. I would suggest a minimum bottle aging period of 6 months.

Just as a follow up. My latest batch is now about 6 months old from primary and it is significantly better than say 3,4,5 months. This wine definitely smooths out and the mango flavor really starts to come out. I would suggest a minimum bottle aging period of 6 months.

I agree. The last bottle I drank was way better than the previous one a couple months prior. Of course I find that out when I only have like 1 bottle left. :D I think I'm going to let this whole batch age a lot longer before I drink any.

I am late to the game, but I plan to make this recipe this week. One question... is the mango pulp measured by weight or volume?

Edit: Mangoes were on sale 4/$1 so I will be making the pulp myself. I will be using two 1 gallon carboys for this batch.

Edit #2: I reviewed the OP's mango pulp suggestion and see that the product is measured in NET WT, so I will assume it is measured in weight and not by volume.

Last edited:
Someone please help! The Red Star "Champaigne" packet I have states it is good for 5 gallons. This recipe is for 1 gallon and says to use 1 packet. Should I use 2 packets for 2 gallons of wine?

I've pitched the yeast! Is it okay if the water in my airlock looks like this?

20170305_005044.jpg

20170305_005107.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone is using mango pulp, I have fresh frozen mango's would like a recipe for using fresh/frozen mangos. Don't want to mess this up, all that cleaning and cutting I have about 38 lbs. of them in the freezer.

My mango pulp has turned out nice and clear. Flavor was interesting at Bottling. I hope it improves with time. I will let everyone know!

IMG_2421.JPG

Everyone is using mango pulp, I have fresh frozen mango's would like a recipe for using fresh/frozen mangos. Don't want to mess this up, all that cleaning and cutting I have about 38 lbs. of them in the freezer.
If it was me I would turn them into pulp using an immersion blender, or a regular blender which would require a bit more work. Freezing them was a good step. once thawed they should be mushy and easier to break down.

Back