Mango Pulp Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'd want to just scale down the mango/sugar addition proportionally, it will ferment cleaner and faster. Mango "cider".

Thanks fearwig. Any thoughts on how much to scale them down by? Proportional to the alcohol % required?

It should be roughly proportional. It won't be exact since you'll have a different FG and residual sweetness and all.

I haven't done this or made the original recipe (yet), and I'm a beer and cider guy generally, but I am pretty sure this is the right course if you want it 6%. You might want to adjust acid to taste. I think it'd be pretty good carbonated.

Finally got around to starting myself a 6 gallon batch. Following FF500's advice I left the acid blend out, and used 20 cups of sugar. To try and remove some of the stuff that was clogging up peoples siphons when racking after i mixed everything together with the stir stick, i moved to a fermenter lined with a nylon strainer bag. tied the bag shut and let ferment for a week. Removed the bag and squeezed as much out of the pulp inside as I could after a week. Lots of mango sludge on the inside of the bag and I was able to rack over to a carboy without clogging.

I'll see if that helps it clear up a bit faster. Looking forward to the finished product already as it smells amazing.

This is my mango wine 2 weeks after pitching the yeast. Should I expect the trub to compact more before I rack, or should I rack and expect a 30% loss from racking, or should I rack some of the mango trub into secondary and let it clear out more? This is my first batch of wine and I don't really know what I'm doing, honestly...

1403946784948.jpg

I just moved to South America. Lots of mangos everywhere. I thought I would start out with one gallon to see how it turned out. I used 2 mangos @ just over 4 cups. Started fermenting really well, and seemed to be pretty high alcohol content and it stopped at 1.030 SG. Cant get it to start fermenting again. I thought maybe because I had maxed out the alcohol content, so I diluted it with a quart of water. Still will not restart. I think next time I will use less sugar. Maybe the mango had more sugar content than the pulp some of you used. The flavor was excellent but too sweet. Not sure why it wouldn't restart. any ideas? I didn't add any acid blend as suggested earlier. I was using Red Star Champaign yeast. I pretty much followed the original recipe other than the acid blend.

I posted earlier about my attempt to strain some of the mango pulp out with a strainer bag in the primary. I wouldn't waste your time trying that doesn't seem to of helped the amount of Mango pulp. Here's a pic of mine after 1 month. Looks like the same amount of pulp as others have posted.

1405384858592.jpg

I just kicked a 3 gallon of this off last night. Sadly I didn't have proper "Mango Pulp" but instead used cartons of Goya's "Mango Nectar" (33oz each.)

Here's more or less how it shook out:

3 cans of mango nectar (I'm using the 33.8oz Goya cartons)
9 pounds of sugar (ish)
4.5 tsp of Acid Blend
1.5 tsp Pectic Enzyme
3 tsp Yeast Nutrient
0.75 tsp tannin

Champagne yeast

Added a 4th can of mango nectar 'cause I'm an idiot.

I slightly overfilled the carboy and lowered it in to a 5 gallon bucket with a towel over the top of it, just in case it foamed over in the initial activity burst. I think I'm okay. (One strawberry pulp explosion experience can make you really skittish :) ).

MadWilliam - how did it turn out? I'm trying to adjust this recipe to use real mangos.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used cut up mangos, about 12 lbs. for 4 gallons, and I got very little pulp to rack off of. So I've got four gallons of mango wine clearing nicely at nine weeks. I used ICV-D47 and with good nutrient additions that wine went dry in a matter of days. I'm looking forward to see how this results.

I have 3 gallons of the mango wine in my 3 gallon carboy. This has cleared nicely at 9 weeks. I have another gallon in a gallon jug which is not quite as clear. But really I didn't have much pulp at all when I used cut up mangos instead of canned mango pulp. I also used six overripe bananas in the batch to give it more body. I used my favorite D47 yeast here too. I've had really good luck with it and it is supposed to do really well with mango wine. Nice to hear from you again FF500. Have you done any further batches for your wife? I'm just starting a 6 gallon batch of Bartlett Pear Wine right now. I want to get a second 6 gallon batch of that going too as soon as I get my primary fermenter free.

Mango wine at 9 weeks.jpg

I am so interested in this wine. My wife is in love with mango everything and loves sweet wines. This sounds like it's the ticket! I can't seem to find mango pulp locally and don't care to order it off amazon. Has anyone made their own pulp from fresh mangos? I found this you tube video that looks promising.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzSfHLxAcqQ"]DIY Mango pulp video.[/ame]

We just started a 6 gallon batch of persimmon and just completed 6 gallons of grape and 6 gallons of apple/cranberry. She's livin the life! Good to hear from you too man!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have 3 gallons of the mango wine in my 3 gallon carboy. This has cleared nicely at 9 weeks. I have another gallon in a gallon jug which is not quite as clear. But really I didn't have much pulp at all when I used cut up mangos instead of canned mango pulp. I also used six overripe bananas in the batch to give it more body. I used my favorite D47 yeast here too. I've had really good luck with it and it is supposed to do really well with mango wine. Nice to hear from you again FF500. Have you done any further batches for your wife? I'm just starting a 6 gallon batch of Bartlett Pear Wine right now. I want to get a second 6 gallon batch of that going too as soon as I get my primary fermenter free.

I just made a 5 gallon must of this last night with 4 Kilos of fresh mangos (ended up with about 2.5 Kilos of fruit). I then pureed in the blender (some small chunks in it for now) added 6 Kilos of white sugar. I wasn't quite as thorough as the lady in the above video but got 90% of the meat n pulp. I then poured it into a PET Carboy and let it cool off overnight at 68 F in my fermentation chamber (with stopper in it to prevent infection). Now am just rehydrating the yeast (EC 1118) to pitch with (after I shake up the carboy some). Following some of the earlier posts, I left out the acid blend to be added later when I secondary

I am interested in hearing the results of your effort. Between this and the Pear Cider I am making next month, the wife will be very happy.

I used about 16 lbs. of fresh ripe mangos for 4 gallons of mango wine. After cutting up the mangos it yielded over 12 lbs. So that's like 7.25 kilos to yield 5.4 kilos to make 4 gallons of wine. I placed the cut up mango flesh in a big nylon bag in my primary fermenter. So I have to figure your batch may be a bit lighter on the mango than mine. I also used 6 ripe bananas cut up in small slices, peels and all to give the wine more body. But it's all good. Have fun with yours.

Thanks for the update. I want the wine to be sweet but not too sweet. Hopefully it will be a decent wine that the wife and her friends can enjoy. I will just have to wait and see what happens. I am sure that the results will be worth the minimal investment. Besides, it's something else to learn.

Is yours still fermenting or ready now?

I started my batch in mid September. Going to rack it soon again. Looking to stabilize it and backsweeten and bottle by mid April. Daughter is getting married in October so I want to have 15-20 bottles by then. I have 12 gallons of pear wine to be ready and bottled by then too.

I started my batch in mid September. Going to rack it soon again. Looking to stabilize it and backsweeten and bottle by mid April. Daughter is getting married in October so I want to have 15-20 bottles by then. I have 12 gallons of pear wine to be ready and bottled by then too.

Sounds good. If my wine turns out to be a lighter wine that would be great as April-June are the hottest months here. Sometimes a mistake leads you down a better path.

I just made (6 gallon) this for the second time. Three weeks ago I followed the recipe and ended up with an OG of 1.130 using Lalvin 1118. It died out around 1.020, way to sweet.

This time added 3 gallons of water, the mango pulp (6 cans of swad kesar sweetened, found at local Indian store). OG was about 1.040. I added 5LB of sugar which brought it up to 1.075. I added 5 more, topped of water, and OG in the bucket is 1.112. Rehydrated and pitched Red Star Champagne yeast this time. Estimated ABV is about 15% if it goes down to 1.000, at the upper limit of the yeasts tolerance. Anyone else have stories to share about FG?

When I added the wine tannin it clumped up. How concerned should I be about this?

Not sure about the wine tannin clumping as this is my first wine.

I didn't take a Hydrometer reading on mine. I am thinking that by me using fresh unsweetened mango, plus the sugar that it will be at or below what you got on your second batch. Any ideas on the best way to fix it if is too sweet (add juice or make another batch that is less sweet and then combine?)?

My batch started off slow on the ferment (using the same yeast as you with just a rehydration not a starter). It took 4 days before I started to get airlock activity (once every 3 seconds). Today is the 5th day and it is now once every 2 seconds. I have a nice head of foam (about 1/2 inch) on the top and my temperature has been steady at 68F.

I am so interested in this wine. My wife is in love with mango everything and loves sweet wines. This sounds like it's the ticket! I can't seem to find mango pulp locally and don't care to order it off amazon. Has anyone made their own pulp from fresh mangos? I found this you tube video that looks promising.

DIY Mango pulp video.

Your local supermarket may sell bottled mango juice. This would be on shelves and not refrigerated. Probably near where the sell cranberry juice and the like (in glass bottles, typically not cartons)

Not sure that making wine from that juice (it's not diluted and does have a great deal of pulp in it) is just as good as making wine from fresh mangoes, but I have made wine from such juice and it tastes quite delicious. You can, however, expect to lose about 1/4- 1/3 of the volume to sediment (the fruit pulp). Mine cleared bright.

Estimated ABV is about 15% if it goes down to 1.000, at the upper limit of the yeasts tolerance. Anyone else have stories to share about FG?

When I added the wine tannin it clumped up. How concerned should I be about this?

On my mango wine I dialed in the O.G. at 1.080 so when it came to Final Gravity I'd have about a 12% ABV wine. I used 1 1/4 tsp Potassium Bicarbonate (KHCO3) and 3 tsps yeast nutrient at must creation to make sure everything got off to a good start. I added 2 1/4 tsp of Fermaid K and 2 tsp DAP at the 1/3 sugar break to make sure the D47 yeast got the job done. They did. The wine was at 1.000 in two days. I have to believe your champagne yeast would have taken both batches dry with good nutrient conditions. With your starting gravities, you are only expecting a 15% ABV wine and your yeast (at least the EC-1118) should be able to deliver that if there is good nutrition and not too low of a pH. If only one goes dry, consider blending the wines to get a less sweet result in both. As to tannin clumping, I wouldn't be too concerned. A slow stir should work it in if it's still clumped. You'll eventually rack off of it if it remains in a clump and can add to taste later.

I just threw a batch together with EC-1118 yeast. My OG was a bit higher than anticipated (1.133). Will report back with results.

I just threw a batch together with EC-1118 yeast. My OG was a bit higher than anticipated (1.133). Will report back with results.

I have found that the mango pulp is hard to get a good OG reading from, due to the suspended solids. I ended up finding my pulp brand online, then checking on their website what Brix level they promise.

Once the particles settle you can get good quality readings. I have a batch that I put on at the end of July (that's when the Mango pulp I buy goes on sale -- Ramadan!) that I should get around to filtering and bottling. Maybe next friday...

Just asking if I should be stirring this batch or let it sit? I started it on 12/23/14 (almost 3 weeks) now and it has a krausen type foam (1/4-3/8" thick) on the top.

I am using EC-1118 yeast and have it sitting at 68F all this time. It took almost 3 days before it showed yeast activity in the airlock.

20150112_160314.jpg

HB what is your airlock activity? Is it still bubbling? My batch was transferred to a secondary after 6 days and the bubbling had basically stopped. I had used a vigorously activated yeast to a must with nutrients added and did staggered nutrient additions so this wine went dry very quickly. I don't remember any foam at the top especially 3 weeks after pitching. If it is actively bubbling still, carefully stir it to release CO2 but don't drive oxygen into the wine at this stage. Then let it sit.

It was bubbling very slow from the beginning about every 2-3 seconds. I pitched rehydrated EC1118 which took almost 4 days to start bubbling. I later read that EC1118 was supposed to be on the bottom then the Must poured on top?? It looks like the bubbling may have stopped. I will try a slow stir and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.

This batch has cleared up significantly in the last 6 days (I used some sparkalloid after I transferred to a secondary carboy with a filtered siphon). I have about a 1/2" of sediment on the bottom of the carboy and still lots of CO2 escaping with very few suspended solids.

This has been a great learning experience. Lots of help from buzzerj and the rest of the crew here. Made some mistakes and have plenty of notes on when to do what for the next batch. I am going to stabilize in a couple weeks after I rerack to another carboy prior to bottling.

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4419.jpg

This batch has cleared up significantly in the last 6 days (I used some sparkalloid after I transferred to a secondary carboy with a filtered siphon). I have about a 1/2" of sediment on the bottom of the carboy and still lots of CO2 escaping with very few suspended solids.

This has been a great learning experience. Lots of help from buzzerj and the rest of the crew here. Made some mistakes and have plenty of notes on when to do what for the next batch. I am going to stabilize in a couple weeks after I rerack to another carboy prior to bottling.

Could you post a picture of the carboy from the front view showing the sediment and such?
I sure wonder how this wine tastes...
Hope to be making some soon.

So far pie cherry, pear, kiwi, cranberry and blackberry are my all time fave fruit wines but this looks and sounds promising.

Here you go;

The wine is still a little cloudy due to the high amount of CO2. What solids in the photos are due to me picking up the carboy out of the fermentation chamber. It was very sweet when I transferred it to this carboy.

I plan on taking a hydrometer reading in a couple of weeks, then stabilizing it, degas, and add clarification agent (Sparkalloid). Then give it another week for the wine to clear completely before bottling.

I should have been degassing in the first week, now I know...

IMG_4420.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4424.jpg

It's looking nice and clear right now Jon. Good job! Let it quit bubbling and it will settle well. Nice job! Like your carboy hauler too.

Thanks, I purchased it early in my home brewing game (before I figured out secondary fermenters weren't needed unless doing dry hops or other secondary additives). With all of the problems with glass carboys that I have read about I am glad to have that along with the carboy handle. It gives me better control when moving and less chance of a mishap (except for a defect in the carboy manufacture)..

Update (Day 39), I transferred the wine to another secondary as it was really clear even with some bubbles still. In a glass it looks like water and you couldn't see it going thru the siphon tube unless there was a bubble. I then ran the Wine Whip on it to degas it. I topped it off with 300ml of Yellowtail Muscato. There were still too many bubbles to do a hydrometer reading. I will take a reading after it settles down in a few days.

The good news is that it is not bubbling anymore. I am crossing my fingers that it is stable. It tasted sweet, not overpowering sweet and not hot, which probably means that it is still fermenting. The wife thinks that it tastes really good at this point (could be a little drier). I got my potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite the other day, so I am ready whenever the wine is.

20150131_164003.jpg

20150131_165915.jpg

Well done Jon. If the wife likes it, you passed the test. Day 39 hmmm. It's a light mango wine like I said before. You could double up the mangos next time. But if it's good now, success! It may not get much drier. I use a sanitized hydrometer on a 2 lbs. test fishing line to get readings in a set up like that. Right in the carboy. Wait and see if it's giving you a stable S.G. week to week. Give it some more time and then stop it/stabilize it when you choose. Wait a few weeks then bottle.

Here is my final product (after two batches). Thanks to all who helped me in this endeavor. The first batch got stuck at 1.04. Second batch got all the way down to 0.992. I then blended this to the wife's taste (1.012-1.014). The wine is very light and just sweet enough for the Mrs. The high ABV (10.5%) does not affect the taste and everyone enjoyed it. Definitely one that will sneak up on you if not careful.

It was almost a 2:1 ratio of Dry to sweet to get it there. I ended up with 3 gallons of 1.04 for future blending.

Now I have to get another batch going so I can use up some more of that sweet batch.

IMG_4635.jpg

does this recipe on the original post yield a full gallon? recipe comes to about 94oz of liquids before the 6 cups of sugar which a good portion of that (I'm not sure how much) would gas off as co2, and I figured youd lose some volume to mango solids. also anyone have any thoughts on 1 vs 2 cans per gallon? I saw some debate earlier in the thread about that wondering how it came out

Back