Mango flavor from hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLObrewer

Reaction score
OK, so, I tried a clone recipe for Odell's extra special red (seasonal) and it came up with a grapefruity flavor, (of course a lot of chinnok in there). However, Is it just me thinking the flavor of extra special red is more mango than grapefruit? What hops will give me that? Or is it in the process? Or. . . . do they add mango to the brew? Is it me? Is it?

OK, so, I tried an all summit red this time, 8 ozs, still not even close to Odells. I think they add some mango juice or some dry hop mangos or something. Any new thoughts?

You can try emailing them. They may be able to tell you the hop varieties used.
And you can ask if they use mango? I would guess they do not use mango, since potential allergy issues and because you can get some crazy flavors from hops.

They couldn't give me a recipe for the Town Pump IPA, but they were able to tell me this about it
some of the hops we use are Columbus, Perle, Chinook, Amarillo, and Centennial and we hop back using whole flowers of some of these. Some of the malts we use are Pale Malt, ESB Malt, Vienna, and Caramalt.

They may be able to give you similar info for the Red Ale

I loved their IPA, and Town Pump IPA, only wish I could get it in PA.

Some describe a mango aroma and flavor from Citra hops.

That's what I was going to say! I made an all-citra beer. Mango. Total mango. I thought it was awful, but some people liked it. I'm not a fan, but citra hops late in the boil and/or dryhopped might be exactly what you're looking for.

i was fermenting an all cascade ipa the other day and the smell coming out of the fermenter was all mango. im not sure how it will taste, but smell is like being slapped in the face by a sticky mango seed...

Back