Managing Bottle Conditioning Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenbp

Reaction score
I brewed and bottled a dry Irish stout (extract). It has been a week and I decided to check the temperature where the bottles were stored. The temperature is about 58F. My thought is that it may be too cold for the yeast to carbonate the beer. Should I be concerned? Are there any methods to help raise the temperature of bottled homebrew? Swamp bath? Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

I keep my bottles in my basement and this time of the year it's about 60-62. Yes, it takes a few days longer to carbonate, but they do. I'd say you'll be fine if you don't mind waiting. A stout can use the time anyways. ;)

I had the same problem in winter, and wifey doesn't like me storing beer all over the house. I shifted a few bottles behind the fridge where the compressor warms things up and left the rest to carb slowly.

I had the same problem in winter, and wifey doesn't like me storing beer all over the house.

I bought the house, so I let my wife live in it too, and I store beer where it needs to be. This time of year it is sometimes not warm enough in the upstairs bedroom that I usually use for the first 2 weeks, so i've been setting the full cases next to the heater vent in the gun room with blanket over them to trap the heat. the temp under the blanket oscillates from mid 60-s to mid 70's. after 4-5 days i move them to the normal bottle conditioning bedroom.

they've actually been getting perfectly drinkable in 6-7 days with this accelerated treatment, tho I do try to hold off for 2-3 weeks when possible.

I made a swamp bath for bottle conditioning and it worked great. Used a large plastic tub with a cover and aquarium heater.

Back