Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put together another batch of this tonight. I can't take an initial gravity reading as it's already put together in the carboy and I have nothing that can pull a small portion out. I opted to take a venture down the apple pie direction as I really like an apple pie moonshine that is made locally (I just want it less strong/abv).

So, here is what I pitched tonight:
- 1 packet montrachet
- 2 lbs white sugar
- 5 tsp's apple pie spice
- enough apple juice to fill to the neck of carboy (it had 1.05 gravity)

The plan is to let it ferment until done (under 1.000) and then use sorbate and finally backsweeten. I'll probably just start simple and backsweeten with sugar alone on this batch. I'll test backsweetening with concentrate next batch. The initial smell though is very nice!

Edit: Be very careful when using the apple pie spice. I've never seen montrachet act like this before. Everything you see inside and outside of the airlock becomes a long sticky string like substance. Cleaned it up, pushed down the cap and mixed it up, and reattached the airlock. This happened before 24 hours.

Edit again: I have now cleaned the airlock 7 times within 12 hours and it finally appears to have slowed down (the overflow part at least).

A blowoff tube can make things a lot less frustrating/messy in those situations.
Something like this(borrowed from another site):
maxresdefault.jpg

Have ~6gallons of this sitting at about 2 months. Tasted it finally yesterday. It's sour a bit. Does that age out? Because I don't like that and I strongly doubt anyone else that is around to drink it will. How long is this okay to let sit? Is it okay let it sit on the lees for like 6+months or should I bottle + let em age that way? I plan to use apple concentrate as my priming sugar source to add a bit of apple. Have people done that with success?

I followed the recipe exactly. Does the 6 months + aging time smoothen out as in no sour taste? If not, I doubt I'd make it again. First time making it.

Have ~6gallons of this sitting at about 2 months. Tasted it finally yesterday. It's sour a bit. Does that age out? Because I don't like that and I strongly doubt anyone else that is around to drink it will. How long is this okay to let sit? Is it okay let it sit on the lees for like 6+months or should I bottle + let em age that way? I plan to use apple concentrate as my priming sugar source to add a bit of apple. Have people done that with success?

I followed the recipe exactly. Does the 6 months + aging time smoothen out as in no sour taste? If not, I doubt I'd make it again. First time making it.

Did you make it right?

My first time I added 4 cin sticks in it for a week and then let it sit for 8 months after that.... It was, and has always been, my top performer in sales / bribes / offerings of things to get hands on when it comes to my friends and family.

At 2 months it has to still be pretty damn hot. What's the ABV?

I made it correctly. I need to check the specific gravity though. Haven't done that yet. I just let it go. Mine is not hot. I can definitely taste the alcohol though. It reminds me of a sightly sour strongbow/stella ish cider. What applejuice do you use? I used Mott's.

Hotness from alcohol will mellow with age, but the tartness from malic acid and lack of sugar is part of the flavor profile. I'd bet that if you added some sugar - even a small amount - to a glass you'd find something more to your liking. If that works, there are ways to modify the batch to suit.

So that sour taste is there to stay? I suspected that was the malic acid and wasn't going to leave. Is there a way to add sweetness and to carbonate in bottles without having to heat pasteurize or cold crash?

I suppose I could always eliminate the carbonation and stabilize/backsweeten, but I'd prefer not to.

As the opening post says, you can serve it with some Sprite- or 7-Up-type pop, which is what the Germans do.....

Someone here suggested to freeze-distill some Apple juice, and serve on top of a few drops of that.

I like dry cider, and actually usually add malic acid to adjust pH down to around 3.8.

As the opening post says, you can serve it with some Sprite- or 7-Up-type pop, which is what the Germans do.....

I want something ready out of the bottle. I wish the 'what does it taste like' portion warned about what people usually like it about it and what the people don't. Such as it being so dry/tart it tastes a bit sour.

Idk. Maybe it'll change if I sweeten it up a bit. I'll experiment by adding apple juice to some @RPh_Guy then seeing if it covers it up well. If it does, I will just sacrifice the carbonation by stabilizing then back-sweetening with some frozen apple concentrate. Though, I admit I'd be tempted to add lactose and still try the carbonation.

Would backsweetening with lactose add any weird elements to this? I've never used non-fermentable sugars to backsweeten before. I'm not a fan of the artificial after taste, which is why xylitol makes me skeptical.

What do you guys think of my approach on this? What are your experiences with non-fermentable sugars like lactose?

Time for me to make another batch.
Last batch was given a resounding two thumbs up from a German-born co-worker and his wife. He claimed that mine was the best they've had since coming to America... High praise indeed!

This was my second batch, modified Edwort: Half the sugar was swapped with brown sugar, a portion of the brown sugar boiled in apple juice to convert a little (hoping for some non-fermentables to sweeten it up a bit.)
Montrachet still, like the first batch.

Time for me to make another batch.
Last batch was given a resounding two thumbs up from a German-born co-worker and his wife. He claimed that mine was the best they've had since coming to America... High praise indeed!

This was my second batch, modified Edwort: Half the sugar was swapped with brown sugar, a portion of the brown sugar boiled in apple juice to convert a little (hoping for some non-fermentables to sweeten it up a bit.)
Montrachet still, like the first batch.

Did it taste tart. Almost sour a bit?

As already mentioned, some tartness (from malic acid in apples) is expected after it dries out, like just about any fruit. Sweetness balances out the perceived tartness.

The amount of tartness depends on the apple varieties in the juice, and probably how ripe they were... So it will vary based on your source of juice.

Personally I think it tastes bad without a noticeable amount of tartness (like pH > 4).

That's where we differ in taste preference. Now that I hear more after I have actually tasted it, I understand more. It's not for me I think. I'll sweeten it a bit I think. I'll see. Maybe I'll bottle carb a gallon and let it age to see how it goes. I should have done a bit more research before starting this. Thank you.

That's where we differ in taste preference. Now that I hear more after I have actually tasted it, I understand more. It's not for me I think. I'll sweeten it a bit I think. I'll see. Maybe I'll bottle carb a gallon and let it age to see how it goes. I should have done a bit more research before starting this. Thank you.

I do not like freshly fermented apple juice because it is too sour.

But I love a good apple wine. I think the main difference is the age. Just let it sit on the yeast for a few months and then try again. Maybe rack to secondary after a few months maybe not, do not know what works best. But give it at least half a year time in total.

No one carbonates this in germany, we drink it with sparkling water or sprite if desired.

Btw. This stuff is not typically German, it is typical for only a small specific area in germany and mostly unknown in the rest. It is the area around Frankfurt.

PS I am German :D

I do not like freshly fermented apple juice because it is too sour.

But I love a good apple wine. I think the main difference is the age. Just let it sit on the yeast for a few months and then try again. Maybe rack to secondary after a few months maybe not, do not know what works best. But give it at least half a year time in total.

No one carbonates this in germany, we drink it with sparkling water or sprite if desired.

Btw. This stuff is not typically German, it is typical for only a small specific area in germany and mostly unknown in the rest. It is the area around Frankfurt.

PS I am German :D

All good to know! I'll let it sit. I'm in no rush. It's been about 2 months, as I said. What's the difference after it ages? You say you don't like the sourness of a fresh fermented apple juice bcuz it's too sour. Does that mild out significantly with age? I've read in wine forums that there's a 'new' wine taste that ages out. I'm not sure if that's what this is or if it's suppose to be that way. Based on the description provided by others, I thought it's suppose to be a little sour/tart from the malic acid.

It will be a bit tart at the end, for shure. I am actually not sure if the overall taste changes in a way that accompanies the tartness better or if the tartness just fades away a bit.

From my sour beers I made, I can say that the sourness decreased with aging, but do not know if this translates to applewoi.

I have a question about my apfelwein.

I brewed this about a 11 months ago; I racked it to secondary after 8 weeks and then told myself to FORGET ABOUT IT for a few months while it did its thing.

Well, I forgot about it alright - except for filling the airlock a few times, It hasn't moved in around 9 months, and now it is sitting there in the 1gallon fermenters, looking nice and needing bottled, probably.

My question is, if I bottle it, will there be "bottle shock" for a period of time? If so, approximately how long?

Or, am I better off just keeping it in the 1-gallon fermenter and using it out of that, now that so much time has passed?

Please advise, and thank you -

Ron

Sorry but I haven't tried this particular recipe myself, I just drank similar ones and did some quick dry ciders and some sours.

I only heard about bottle shock when filtering wine not when botteling, but I might be wrong.

If you intend to drink it quickly enough ( a few days) you can leave it in the fermenter. Otherwise the risk of oxidation and contamination would be to high for my taste.

Has anyone made apfelwein with Tree Top 3 Apple Blend? I tried it a while back and thought it tastes brighter, fresher, and crisper than their regular juice and it made a delicious cider (with ale yeast).

Has anyone made apfelwein with Tree Top 3 Apple Blend? I tried it a while back and thought it tastes brighter, fresher, and crisper than their regular juice and it made a delicious cider (with ale yeast).

Was it tart/sour from the malic acid?

Started a 6 gallon batch with a few changes.

Used Safale S-04 to preserve some sweetness and a bit of extra apple taste.
Added 1/5 of the sugar as brown sugar.

Mixed the following together and simmered gently for a decent while:
60g raisins
120g ginger
2 sticks cinnamon
1tsp allspice
zest of 2 oranges
1 "Kenya bold" teabag
Then added the whole lot to primary (no straining).

Kept all the additions low so they would be subtle - I suspect the apple juice I used would make for a very plain cider otherwise.

At the 3 day mark I added 1tsp of "double concentrated" tomato paste to stop rhino farts, forgetting that I see tomato paste used in distiller's washes not beer/wine/cider etc. (ooops).

man, I just kegged a 8 month old carboy I dry hopped 2 ounces of simcoe into. I got a diacetyl after taste. I've probably done 200 homebrew days and never had this, so bummed.

I made it correctly. I need to check the specific gravity though. Haven't done that yet. I just let it go. Mine is not hot. I can definitely taste the alcohol though. It reminds me of a sightly sour strongbow/stella ish cider. What applejuice do you use? I used Mott's.

I use CostCo 100% not from concentrate when I don't have access to the fresh apples / self squeeze.

I've done it both ways (multiple variety apples gleened from neighbors and bottled juice) and I must say, the fresh squeeze was better... But it took us 3 days to make 50 gallons of juice.

Here's a question -

I have two batches about ready to bottle. One is juice, the other is cider...and they use different yeasts...but are otherwise identical.

Both taste fine, but one is considerably darker than the other, even though they started out pretty much the same colour.

Because they taste fine, I don't think that oxidation is the culprit - the only thing I can think of is that one was from natural, pressed cider and the other is from blended, store-bought apple juice (Tree-Top) that was almost certainly concentrated and then re-constituted, so the water used (or not used) might be the cause.

Any ideas?

I tossed a cinnamon stick in mine a week before bottling the half I just bottled/carbonating w/o backsweetening. Racked the other half with some campden tablets. Gonna sorbate/backsweeten & bottle the other half soon too.

The half unbacksweetened still taste too tart for me. The cinnamon is a nice addition, but the malic acid adds too much sour for me personally.

I made this back in Feb, kegged in May, but it's just too dry for the wife. I really like it, but always choose a tap with beer over cider. Since we both like ginger, and got on a bit of a dark and stormy kick after Bermuda cruise, I decided yesterday to mix in 1-2 oz of Goslings Ginger Beer with a few glasses.

Now, we're both drinking and loving this stuff! If you like ginger and want a bit of sweet in your Apfelwein, I'd choose ginger beer over sprite.

I ended up bottling my apple pie flavored batch yesterday evening. Turned out about 10-11%, and just sweet enough that it doesn't taste like alcohol at all. I'm telling ya, this one is definitely a winner, and the wife even likes it. I ended up with 1 1/2 bottles down myself, and man did it hit me like a truck. Morning was not fun :(.

While cleaning out the garage yesterday I found a gallon Carboy of Apfelwein that I had forgotten about. The airlock got knocked off at some point (probably during our move into this house back in march). Nothing is off about it, and it looks fine. I had comepletely forgotten about it, moving will do that to memory. From the notes on the bottle it should be somewhere around 13-15% ABV... this stuff was rocket fuel when I tasted it about a year ago. Is there anything I should be worried about with it? Or just try it and see. Like I said, it's been in the garage with no airlock for 6-8 months with temps anywhere from 50-95+ degrees. It was originally made sometime in March of '16.

So I just put a 5 gallon batch in a carboy, making this from memory of the last time I made it (2014). Well, my memory was off.

First I used table sugar instead of corn sugar, but I don't think that'll be an issue. But, I did falsely remember it being 3 lbs of sugar, and in an attempt to just wing it, probably put 4 lbs in...

I did take a reading (1.078) which would put this around 10.4% if it gets to 0.999. However, I noticed later after adding the yeast a lot of sugar was on the bottom of the carboy, so I shook it to mix it all up. If it settles out again I'll just leave it.

I guess my only questions are what should I expect? And should I go grab another packet of Montrachet yeast to help with all of that sugar, or should the one packet be fine?

Back