Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between Hard Cider and Apfelwein? I am not a big fan of hard ciders although my hubby likes them. I am coming up on apple harvest here on my property and thought I would like to try this, can I make it with fresh pressed apples?

Sorry for dragging this old thread up.

I plan to make up a batch of this and plan to leave it in the carboy for around six weeks before bottling. Is there anything I must do in the meantime?

I plan to make up a batch of this and plan to leave it in the carboy for around six weeks before bottling. Is there anything I must do in the meantime?

I would put it in a secondary after fermentation for a couple of months and then bottle.

You could also split the batch and bottle some at 6 weeks and age the rest.

I am currently making a batch and will Be splitting the batch when I transfer to my secondaries. 2 gallons is going to be hopped and the other aged a little longer. I may even bottle a gallon next weekend to bottle condition for Thanksgiving.

1) don't be sorry for digging up this old thread

2) enjoy some other tasty beverages, homemade or otherwise

3) relax, let the yeast do the work

4) come back here & report your results

Has anyone had this turn cloudy after kegging? Mine sat in the carboy for 10 weeks and was perfectly clear, but after kegging, it's really cloudy. The keg and lines were all cleaned, rinsed, and sanitized prior to siphoning the Apfelwein into the keg. Any idea what else I could have done wrong?

Has anyone had this turn cloudy after kegging? Mine sat in the carboy for 10 weeks and was perfectly clear, but after kegging, it's really cloudy. The keg and lines were all cleaned, rinsed, and sanitized prior to siphoning the Apfelwein into the keg. Any idea what else I could have done wrong?
Sounds like either chill haze or pectin haze. I assume it still tastes fine?

What kind of juice did you use? Did you use pectic enzyme?
I just used Walmart's Great Value Apple Juice. Ingredients are apple juice from concentrate and ascorbic acid (vitamin C). I did not use pectic enzyme though.. only ingredients were the juice, corn sugar, and yeast (Montrachet). Siphoned onto recommended dosage of Camden tablets and Potassium Sorbate because originally was planning to back sweeten with a can of concentrate, but ended up using a bit of Splenda instead.

I had two 3 gallon batches. Left 1 batch dry and bottled into wine bottles. Those are perfectly clear.. The other batch went into the keg. Could it have been two much headspace in the keg? I connected the CO2 and pulled up on the keg's release valve for a few seconds (a couple of times) to release the air in the head space, so I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

Maybe I just need to give it some time..

So the keg version has Splenda added? I think there might be a filler in Splenda, so people can use spoon-for-spoon. Maybe that is what is clouding it up?

So the keg version has Splenda added? I think there might be a filler in Splenda, so people can use spoon-for-spoon. Maybe that is what is clouding it up?
Could be.. I have another 6 gallon batch brewing. I'll skip the Splenda and see if makes a difference. Thank you!

Looking for some insight...What a BEAST of a thread btw, wow!! So, bubbling has stopped, I would like to carb a handful of bottles and backsweeten the rest. I bumped the sugar a bit on purpose so I could get some wine like bottles and then please the wife by having an easier drinking batch. After I pull the bottles out I’m going to carbonate, should I let the rest age a bit in the secondary before stabilizing or backsweeten and then bulk age to let the flavors meld?? Basically, the question is...should I age w backsweeting (AJC is the plan) for as long as possible or let it ride for as long as possible and then backsweeten later.

Last edited:
After reading to pg 67 ,i stepped away from the keyboard and headed for the grocery store and bought 24lt sunrype 100% juice added some pectic enzyme,yeast nutrient,and lavlin 1118.I am using a fastferment my question is I want to rack this into a carboy at what point in my process would it be best to do this? I need my fastferment back for another project otherwise I would just leave my apfelwein in it till finished.Oh by the way I am on day 3 with very good action at the air lock and know elephant farts....yet !!!!!!bob

Can you see into the fermenter? If so at 1/4 inch of lees. If not when the action slows to a slow rate of bubbles in the airlock. Mine usually take about 5 days, but I'm stuck at 72°F. A week or more if your temps are low?

That is kind of what I was thinking waiting for air lock too slow down,I am on day 4 and still bubbling like mad,another question has anyone added one of those apple flavourings that are good to flavour 5 gal to there apfewein?That seems to be one thing about fastfermenter that I am unsure weather or not I like is the fact you can’t really see much of what is going on.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I have made this so many times to give away at holidays and it’s such a hit. However, I used to buy at Costco. They no longer sell the 2 gallon pack. Is it okay for me to use apple juice from concentrate?? The Costco ones weren’t. Now they are SUPER hard to find in large quantities in Southern California. Actually seeing if I can contact a farmer at this point!
Thanks ahead of time-josh

I made this 6 years ago and did exactly the opposite of what your supposed to do, and tried to hurry a batch. Needless to say it was not good and I was looking very skeptical at all the rave reviews. At least I had the sense to set it to the side instead of throwing it out, which was my first thought. I had completely forgot about em till a guest asked what was in the bottles of the guest room closet! After chilling for a couple hours.......this is better than I could have ever hopped!! My only regrets 1) I didn’t let sit long enough on the front end and possibly even transfer to a secondary, as the product is crystal clear but has just enough sediment to spoil the presentation if your not very careful. 2) I haven’t been making another batch every couple months the last six years to have a pipeline!

Hey guys,
I have made this so many times to give away at holidays and it’s such a hit. However, I used to buy at Costco. They no longer sell the 2 gallon pack. Is it okay for me to use apple juice from concentrate?? The Costco ones weren’t. Now they are SUPER hard to find in large quantities in Southern California. Actually seeing if I can contact a farmer at this point!
Thanks ahead of time-josh
Look in the cider forum for a thread about iced cider without the work. Or something close to that.

Thanks-
Really want to find a source for the apple juice in gallons. If anyone has any leads or ideas lease let me know. Thanks!
Josh

Hey everyone. So i made another batch of apfelwein and thought id share my results as its really good! Haha. So i started with somewhere close to 5 gal walmart apple juice and around 2 lbs corn sugar. Used the updated wine yeast formerly known as montrache. Lol and then added a lb of frozen mangoes! Boom. Fermented for a week or two then transferred to secondary for a month or so and then kegged with a half gallon of mango juice. I didnt stir the juice and i stopped pouring before the cloudy part entered the keg. Its like apfelwein with a bit of mango. Nothing overpowering nothing too sweet. My wife likes it. I like it, its great for the summer but its still apfelwein so take it easy or you will call ed a mfer in the morning not me. I repeat NOT me

Hey everyone. So i made another batch of apfelwein and thought id share my results as its really good! Haha. So i started with somewhere close to 5 gal walmart apple juice and around 2 lbs corn sugar. Used the updated wine yeast formerly known as montrache. Lol and then added a lb of frozen mangoes! Boom. Fermented for a week or two then transferred to secondary for a month or so and then kegged with a half gallon of mango juice. I didnt stir the juice and i stopped pouring before the cloudy part entered the keg. Its like apfelwein with a bit of mango. Nothing overpowering nothing too sweet. My wife likes it. I like it, its great for the summer but its still apfelwein so take it easy or you will call ed a mfer in the morning not me. I repeat NOT me

Headache!?

Thanks-
Really want to find a source for the apple juice in gallons. If anyone has any leads or ideas lease let me know. Thanks!
Josh
I buy Target’s brand in 1 gallon size - Market Pantry. I’ve used it for two very successful graf recipes.

I got the fever guys, second and third batch going strong.

Attachments

• 20190817_125301.jpg
    20190817_125301.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
I am doing back-to-back batches of Apfelwein and will likely continue to do so. Should I clean my Better Bottle between each batch and then pitch a fresh yeast pack or should I pour the apple juice right over the old yeast cake? This last batch has been sitting for about three months before going on tap.

Thanks for any suggestions. :mug:

Id think it would be fine to reuse the yeast. At least once maybe twice. Probably easier than harvesting and washing and it will probably get going faster since its already built up its colony. The only reason i havent tried this is because the yeast is cheap. Got a 10 pack for like $6 on amazon

Because this thread has been so interesting, I made my first batch ever. It has been sitting for about 5 weeks.
I can't wait to eventually try it...resisting the temptation to get into it before about 3-4 months!
What can people share about carbing it? By the time it's ready, I will be done with my keezer build...
Was thinking of just kegging/carbing...but with the wealth of info everyone has, I'm curious what people have to say...

Thanks!

It's an apple wine. Not sure if carbing it would be good. I carbed a cider recently and wasn't completely happy with the results. The cider itself may have been off.

I always keg/carb half and bottle/carb the other half
Made it 8 times so far
Always a hit, people like that it is very dry, love the champagne flavor from my using Montrachet yeast (that's now something else?) and I don't usually do the 2# corn sugar suggested as I aim more for 7% finished product abv.

I always keg carb it. Take it easy though the dry liquid seems to soak up the c02 more quickly than beer. Ive overcarbed it before trying my normal quick carb procedure

Hey guys!
I have an odd thing going on with my latest two gallons.
See how one lees are smooth and other is bumpy? The bumpy one also has white specks floating on top.

I split a pack of yeast so one could had a higher pitch than the other. That would be the only difference and I think it's just yeast still playing around. Been almost 5 weeks.

I plan to taste both and take a FG reading. If it tastes okay I'm gonna roll with it. Planning on batch priming both together.

Thanks for any advice!
Resized_20190928_150603.jpeg
Resized_20190928_150546.jpeg

Hey guys!
I have an odd thing going on with my latest two gallons.
See how one lees are smooth and other is bumpy? The bumpy one also has white specks floating on top.

I split a pack of yeast so one could had a higher pitch than the other. That would be the only difference and I think it's just yeast still playing around. Been almost 5 weeks.

I plan to taste both and take a FG reading. If it tastes okay I'm gonna roll with it. Planning on batch priming both together.

Thanks for any advice!
View attachment 646076 View attachment 646077
The top seems to have more haze while the bottom example looks clearer. Maybe the bumps are just signs of more sediment. I'd let things take their course and taste them.

Back