Malts vs. Mash Profile vs. Beer profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudybrew

Reaction score
Hey there...
It's been a while now that i've been trying to figure out the relation of malt types with mash profile and the end result...
Exemples:
1) Cristal/cara(wet kilned, converted in the kernel) malts if mashed at 160-167 leaves a lot of sweet in the finished beer whereas if it was mashed around 150 only would leave a dry finished beer, all of this plus the flavors from the roasting level, like nutty, roasty, etc.. (Please consider this temperature step after a normal beta amylase step)
2) Dry kilned/roasted(uncoverted in the kernel) malts if mashed at 160-167 range would leave a malty and maybe a subtle sweetness whereas if mashed at 150 would also be dry.

Is right to say that wet kilned malts if mashed at alpha amylase temps would leave a lot of sweet and the dry kilned would leave a malty but not sweet taste?

I've recently brewed an english brown ale with a selection of cristal(wet kilned) malts which all combined summed about 32% of the grain bill. i did only a protein and beta amylase mash at 149F, then mash out, and the finnished beer turned out pretty dry, which wasnt my intention. I wanted it malty but not sweet. I understand that the yeast I used was a very attenuating one, but i dont believe that would be the cause. I guess I should have mashed it a little higher just to get a bit of unfermentables to leave a more malty taste. Or I could have used malts of similar lovibonds but dry kilned so to not get the sweet but the malty taste.

Am I going bananas, or does any of this makes sense?

Cheers

:ban: You're going bananas.

Your only malts that make much difference in the mash temperature are the base malts like pale malt, brewers malt, pilsner, Maris Otter, etc. The Crystal or cara malts have already had the sugars converted and will not change much after that. Their contribution is flavor and color and body as their sugars are not eaten by the yeast and remain in the finished beer.

thanks rm-mn...
Guess I am indeed going bananas haha...
So you say that the only noticeble sweetness comes exclusively from base malts?
And that the special malts regardless of mash temp wont make it sweet, but give those characteristics like flavor, color and body?
Or does the caramel/cristal malts leave sweetness regardless of mash temps?
Another question... the body comes from unfermentable sugars in its majority, not considering proteins and other stuff that can make it thick?

Latest posts

Back