Malt Specifications

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddNotion

Reaction score
y all,

I plan on brewing the Surly Bitter Brewer Clone in about two weeks and really want to enter this recipe into BeerSmith. The only problem I am running into some trouble finding the Specs on the grains involved in the brew. I am not sure if the Simpson's Medium Crystal is equivalent to 40L or 60L and if the Roasted Barley is the same as any other one I buy. If anyone has the informatiom please let me know. I am looking for the Yield, Potential, Coarse Fine Difference, Moisture, Diastatic Power, and Protein %. I have been looking online but cant seem to find the information I am looking for. The grains are:

Thomas Fawcett Optic Malt
Canadian Pale Ale Malt
Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
Simpsons Medium Crystal
Simpsons Roasted Barley

Cheers!

Using the specs from another malt with a similar color will get you close enough, those specs are much more important for base malts since you use so much of them. I see their medium crystal listed as 50-60L, you can call it 55L if you want.

Back