Malt liquor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taterbug

Reaction score
I have a friend who makes a little whiskey on his stovetop every now and again.I was at his house and he was making what I will assume was still beer a while back. He showed me the process,which was a lot like steeping grain,I think,except he said it would take two weeks to be ready,and I should come back and try a drink before he cooked it up into something a little (read a lot) stronger. That was last summer,before I got interested in making beer,but I got to thinking recently,what if I took his brew (still beer?),and used that and some malt to make my beer? What would I wind up with? I cant remember his recipe as we were imbibing on storebought beer and a taste of his creation,but it could have been chop feed. like I said,I dont remember. Anyone ever tried this before? if so,how did it turn out? How would one figure out what exactly to do,as it seems to me,if he had to wait 2 weeks for it to be ready to distill,wouldnt it already be done fermenting? Again,This might just be a dumb question,but us newbies have to learn. as I once heard,"inquiring minds want to know".

You have a friend who is breaking the law. I'm sure he appreciates you outing him on a public forum. ;)

We'd need more information on the ingredients he's using, and we don't discuss distilling here. So you should probably look elsewhere.

Best of luck.

Its silly we don't discuss it. There are plenty of subscribers from less nanny like nations. It's darn near the same process

Brewing beer and makin' shine are two totally different things. You could probably make moonshine out of dogfood and sugar as long as you distill it. That doesn't mean his wort would make good beer.

This is a beer forum.

davefleck said:
Its silly we don't discuss it. There are plenty of subscribers from less nanny like nations. It's darn near the same process

The servers for this forum are based in a nanny nation. Therefore we follow those laws. Go find another forum based in a less nanny nation and discuss to your heart's content.

Rules is rules.

It's illegal to distill in the US still (though that is slowly changing,) this forum's servers are in America...it's that simple.

We don't discuss things that are illegal here, whether it is distilling, or pot, or stealing cornies, or perhaps yes, announcing how much we brew over the legal limit.....

Or allow underagers to be on here.

And we do that for two major reasons.

1) respect for TX and the Mods here for putting together this wonderful supportive site. That is the biggest one...We love this place and want to protect it.

2)Secondly we respect our hobby, and alcohol, and most of us understand the precarious razor's edge that it sits on. We understand prohibition and the fact that 40 years after prohibition was rescinded our hobby was still Illegal.

So that's why whether we agree with the laws or not we refrain from discussing anything that could give us a bad name on here.....

I think the original question was would a moonshine or whiskey wort recipe make a good beer. He was not asking about making shine. The answer is no. You can put ass in a bucket and make moonshine, but to make good beer you need to use the good stuff.

And to give an answer, we would be discussing what goes into a moonshine mash, which would be discussing moonshining. And we don't do that.

I'm confused by what your asking and the title of your thread. "Malt liquor" really has nothing to do with "liquor" or distilling. Malt Liquor is simply just a strong beer anyway.

Malt liquor is a North American term referring to a type of beer with high alcohol content. In legal statutes, the term often includes any alcoholic beverage above or equal to 5% alcohol by volume made with malted barley. In common parlance, however, it is used for high-alcohol beers made with ingredients and processes resembling those in American-style lager. Malt liquor is distinguished from other beers of high alcohol content in that the brewing process is seen by many critics as targeting high alcohol content and economy rather than quality.

A malt liquor is just a big lager, like bud, miller, coors. It's just a lot more grain and rice and corn...it technically really no different than a barelywine or any other high grav beer. It's just a bigger version of an American Light Adjunct Lager. You could call it a strong lager, or a DLAL (Double Light American Lager.)

*ducks* ;)

In fact Charlie Papazian's Olde English 800 Malt Liquor recipe is legendary...

Olde English 800
5 Gallons

OG: 1.055 (13.5)
FG: 1.004 (1)
ABV: 7%
Color: 4.5 SRM
Bittering Units: 14

3.5 lbs. American 2-row pale malt
3.75 lbs. American 6-row malt
3 lbs. flaked corn
2 HBU (56 MBU) American Cluster hops (pellets) - 105 minutes (bittering)
1.5 HBU (43 MBU) American Nugget hops (pellets) - 105 minutes (bittering)
1/4 tsp. Irish moss
Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager yeast

A step infusion mash is employed to mash the grains. Add 10 quarts (9.5L) of 130-degree F (54.5 C) water to the crushed grain and flaked corn, stir, stabilize and hold the temperature at 122 degrees F (50 C) for 30 minutes. Add 5 quarts (1.9 L) of boiling water. Add heat to bring temperature up to 150 degrees F (65.5 C). Hold for about 60 minutes.

After conversion, raise temperature to 167 degrees F (75 C) water, lauter and sparge with 4 gallons (15 L) of 170 degree F (77 C) water. Collect about 6.5 gallons (25 L) of of runoff, add bittering hops and bring to a full and vigorous boil.

The total boil time will be 105 minutes. When 10 minutes remain, add Irish moss. After total wort boil of 105 minutes (reducing wort volume to just over 5 gallons), turn off the heat, then separate or strain out and sparge hops. Chill the wort to 65 degrees F (18 C) and direct into a sanitized fermenter. Aerate the cooled wort well. Add an active yeast culture and ferment for 4 to 6 days in the primary at 55 degrees F (15 C). Then transfer into a secondary fermenter, chill to 50 degrees F (10 C) to age for two more weeks, then lager for two to four more weeks at 40 degrees F (4.5 C).

When secondary aging is complete, prime with sugar, bottle or keg. Let condition at temperatures above 60 degrees F (15.5 C) until clear and carbonated, then store chilled.

It's only legal to distill if you don't drink it and use it for biodiesel fuel. 99 times out of 100, people aren't distilling for that reason. And even that 1% might be drinking it. Expect a knock on your door from someone with a badge if you purchase a distillery without the intent to use it as fuel!

to actually answer the question:

yes, it would be done fermenting already, adding grain won't make any discernible difference at that point. when someone makes a mash for something other than beer, the grains are of less importance, so you will not end up with anything very beer like. i would just stick to the traditional beer mashing process, it will yield a superior product than trying to fuse cruddy fermentation stuffs with beer ingredients.

dang, i was hoping for a O.E. 800 clone and i find the same old same old.

Sorry I opened a can of worms here.I was not asking about making shine,rather basically is this how malt liquor is made,and would his wort make good beer. I now have my answers,thanks.

As far as breaking the law,I would have to say that 99% of the people I know drive faster than the speed limit. Guess I just ratted them out too.

Sorry I opened a can of worms here.I was not asking about making shine,rather basically is this how malt liquor is made,and would his wort make good beer. I now have my answers,thanks.

certain topics almost always blow up like this.

As far as breaking the law,I would have to say that 99% of the people I know drive faster than the speed limit. Guess I just ratted them out too.

people here are just overly cautious about big brother seeing anything illegal discussed on this site. It's nothing against you, but we all enjoy what tex and the others have made here and don't want to see it under the scrutiny of 'big brother'.

As far as breaking the law,I would have to say that 99% of the people I know drive faster than the speed limit.

So what? Are you that thick that you don't think WE ALL DO at one time or another????

The point is, if you want to be a part of THIS community you follow the rules HERE...if you don't agree, you go someplace else....It's about respect, not about whether we agree with the laws or not. You'll find that most of us don't agree with most of the alcohol laws either..but we respect this forum, and the people who run it. And we ask that you do the same....or leave.

You want to know how to make Malt Liquor BEER, we'll help you, like I gave you a recipe and some info. AND we'll be glad to continue THAT discussion. But we don't talk about certain other things. We even got warned by a moderator not to talk about it.

I don't think it's such a difficult concept to grasp....

What the he// !!!!! Does the majority of people on this forum know it's about beer ! I think they do. And as for those that say we live in a nanny nation. Maybe so but it is still against the law. And for those that want to use for fuel it is ok. Yeah look at the regulations and permits that are required to do it. A those that say bio diesel? Do you know what diesel or bio diesel is! OP Wrong whiskey on top of a stove is not malt liquor! If your interested in distilling it can be found elsewhere. And if your friend is doing it then have him guide you. By the way whats his name and location ?

Back