malt extract customising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak40kush

Reaction score
As a begining brewer I started out using the extract kits (like most)
That being said ive heard about people adding different things to the beer in its secondary fermentation to add different aromas or flavours. so what you recomend from experience.

I was dissappointed when I one day saw that my last stout was infected...I was looking foreward to a vanilla stout..:(

From my experience I reccomend messign about with steeping grains if you aren't doing that already.

Compared to all extract, steeping even half a pound of Crystal 40L for 30 minutes took my beer to the next level.

If you are steeping already you got two options.

1. Build a bigger system and start mashing. I am up to running about 7# in my stovetop system, and I desire no commercial that scores lower than Sam Smith.

2. Try some commercial brews with fruit in them to see what you like. Oustide of lambics, Sam Smith recently released their fall selection of ales fortified with raspberry, cherry and strawberry juices. I didn't like the cherry last year. Had a strawberry tonight that was a nice change of pace, don't need or want five gallons of it personally. I am going to leave the raspberry in the fridge a few more days to cold crash so I get a nice clear pour out of it.

M2c.

right on thanks for the advice. the only problem i have is i dont know of a place close by that sells all grain products for home brewing let alone even different malts. Provided i do find some ill definatly try you suggestion of the crystal. As of current i cant afford to improve or up grade my brewing supplies as im in college and ill be living in rez. soon as i can i want to upgrade!

Latest posts

Back