Making Wine From Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dejay2

Reaction score
Just returned from Texas with a gallon of Muscadine cider. It's 60% juice, I know it should be 100% to make a desent wine. Is there any help out there?

I'm guessing the other 40% is water. You might try adding some Welch's concentrate - red or white, depending upon the cider. I've had both red and white Muscadine wines, some sweeter than others.

Ingredients are: Muscadine juice, Water, Sugar, Citrus Acid, Erythorbic Acid to promote color

That should ferment alright. I'd check the SG as is, and then probably cut it with some welch's, as mentioned. I wouldn't not add any acid blend until after it's done fermenting, then add to taste, since there's a lready acid in there.

How much shelf time would you recommend? SG is 1.070 now, Maybe a pound of sugar? I could use a recipe if anyone has one...

Jack Keller has recipes from muscadine grapes- you have basically already just done the first steps (juicing the grapes) so I'd go with one of those recipes. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp
You probably don't have to adjust the acid at all- that's been done for you when the manufacturer diluted the juice. You also don't need to add 2.5 pounds of sugar- that would be too much, if your SG is already 1.070.

I'd bring the SG to 1.090-1.100 as indicated in the recipes. That would be approx. 1/2 pound sugar, I think.

Ok, thank you. I'll check the recipe ay Jack Kellys web site, and thank you for your input.

One other thing before I go. Jack Keller recipe uses Motrachet yeast. I have Red Star Premier Cuv'ee, which is what I use in most of my wines. Is that not, six of one and half dozen of an other? I have the othe additives, Yeast Nutrient, Pectic Enzym, and Camden tabs, mentioned in the recipe. Thank again

Sure, that would be fine. I use montrachet more often in fruit wines (it's supposed to leave more bouquet and complexity, especially with rhubarb wine) but with muscadine cider, that wouldn't be an issue at all.

Back