Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First try. 2 kg of Thai sweet rice took about 4 liters to cook in 6 batches, added 6 balls. 46 hours in and see lots of potential based on liquid at bottom of container.
15 days later, I decided to pull out the liquid in my brew. Results - not too dry, not too bitter, the return of alcoholic goodness is slightly less tha water used to cook a kilo of rice. I got this much in a 1 gallon jug plus 2/3 of my coffee cup full. Coffee cup now empty :)

Attachments

• 20220715_123854.jpg
    20220715_123854.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 0
Strained thru a nut milk bag and picture taken when I finished up my brewer's benefit portion. I'll post after settled and racked if there is a noticeable difference. I claim successful first errant brew though. Very nice head change noted!!!

Last edited:
Getting ready to start another batch, hopefully this weekend when I rack the apfelwine out of the primary fermenter. A couple of questions, please:

1. For quantity of rice, are the weight or volume measurements people are using for cooked rice or uncooked? i.e., do you weigh it before cooking and then use that through the end of the process? Or do you cook it, weigh or check volume then and proceed?

2. When do you add the water? I mean the 1.1 - 1.3 liters of water per kilo of rice. Options I can see are:
a. Pour it all in the fermenter before adding the rice and yeast mixture
b. Put the rice/yeast mixture in the fermenter then pour the water over it
c. Like b., but half of it over the rice to start, then add the other half after a few days

3. I saw a mention of bentonite - do people typically clear the wine with that? I have had both clear and cloudy at restaurants and like both. But this is more of a question as to will it clear itself if you let it sit a while, and rack a couple of times?

Getting ready to start another batch, hopefully this weekend when I rack the apfelwine out of the primary fermenter. A couple of questions, please:

1. For quantity of rice, are the weight or volume measurements people are using for cooked rice or uncooked? i.e., do you weigh it before cooking and then use that through the end of the process? Or do you cook it, weigh or check volume then and proceed?

2. When do you add the water? I mean the 1.1 - 1.3 liters of water per kilo of rice. Options I can see are:
a. Pour it all in the fermenter before adding the rice and yeast mixture
b. Put the rice/yeast mixture in the fermenter then pour the water over it
c. Like b., but half of it over the rice to start, then add the other half after a few days

3. I saw a mention of bentonite - do people typically clear the wine with that? I have had both clear and cloudy at restaurants and like both. But this is more of a question as to will it clear itself if you let it sit a while, and rack a couple of times?
You got it wrong, completely :D.

No problem.

It's all by weight, and there is no water involved after cooking. You cook one kg of rice in 1-1.3 kg of water, that's the stuff you inoculate with the yeast when cooled to body temperature.

I've got another batch going, same method as before: 2 kilos rice in two batches, added 2 cups water with the second batch. It's been very warm here, and if anything it seemed to help the rice get started faster. 3 weeks in. I'm going to give it another three, then a short secondary after removing the rice mush.

Sweet! Almost 3 days into my second 5 pound run. Looking very much like the first, will give this one 3 weeks and pull the clear off and dump some more rice back in to see if I can get a perpetual pot going.

Sweet! Almost 3 days into my second 5 pound run. Looking very much like the first, will give this one 3 weeks and pull the clear off and dump some more rice back in to see if I can get a perpetual pot going.
You can skip that. Doesn't work this way. You have to remove some rice at the exact right timing during the first few days for this to work. Don't ask me how to figure out when is the right timing...

To follow on to my earlier question, a few more:

1. Do you soak the rice before you steam it? i.e., that would add extra water?

2. Do you steam it:

a. In an actual steamer that has two parts, an inner bowl and an outer pan, adding the water to the rice to the inner one, with more water in the bottom part of the steamer, or

b. Do you just put the water and rice into a single pot and cook? The first method may add a (fairly) small amount of water by not allowing as much to evaporate off)?

Not trying to overthink this; just wanted to see if there is a "standard method" peiople have been using with good success since my last batch went sideways.

Also, if the answer is no need to pre-soak and option 2b is fine for the steaming, then the microwave method I mentioned on a previous page should work fine and I may go back to it on a future batch (with the correct rice-to-water ratio) (if the one I am going to start soon works OK).

Last edited:
To follow on to my earlier question, a few more:

1. Do you soak the rice before you steam it? i.e., that would add extra water?

2. Do you steam it:

a. In an actual steamer that has two parts, an inner bowl and an outer pan, adding the water to the rice to the inner one, with more water in the bottom part of the steamer, or

b. Do you just put the water and rice into a single pot and cook? The first method may add a (fairly) small amount of water by not allowing as much to evaporate off)?

Not trying to overthink this; just wanted to see if there is a "standard method" peiople have been using with good success since my last batch went sideways.

Also, if the answer is no need to pre-soak and option 2b is fine for the steaming, then the microwave method I mentioned on a previous page should work fine and I may go back to it on a future batch (with the correct rice-to-water ratio) (if the one I am going to start soon works OK).
The standard (Western) version is to add rice and water to a pot, close it with a lid and boil till the water is gone.

You can also just steam the rice till it is done, it's actually the traditional way. That way, you cannot over water the rice. Just steam it till it's done and then let it cool. Don't let it touch the water in the steaming pot.

Thanks. I think I will go with the option to chuck it all in a pot and cook for ease of making it

Thanks. I think I will go with the option to chuck it all in a pot and cook for ease of making it
Soaking and steaming is better at keeping individual grains. This provides a lot of surface area for aeration which benefits fungus and amylase activity. This in turn is good for the fermentation because the yeast get a gradual feed of sugar as the rice grains break down.

My rice baby at 3 weeks! More liquid and A. orzae than I've ever seen at this point. This method, adding the rice half and half with just a little water, seems to be working for me.

If this batch is good, maybe next time I'll try adding some red yeast rice.

20220915_172204.jpg

UPDATE:

A good thing I tasted it today, because it's very strong and shall we say tangy. Not too tart to drink, but I wouldn't share it with anyone else.

I pulled it off the gross lees (with the Mrs. clucking about the mess), added two teaspoons hydrated bentonite, cold crash and hope for something drinkable. I did get nearly a US gallon from two kilos of rice.

A record heat wave hit, right after I pitched this batch. That almost certainly had an effect.

Last edited:
I have a new batch of 2lb (.907kg) of rice going now (after steaming the rice), in a 2-gallon glass jar I had around for making nocino. It is in the oven with the door propped open so the lights stay on. It is sitting right at 80 degrees F.

How long should it sit at that temp? Just keep going, or remove to a more room temp location (like 74 degrees F) after a week or so? Wondering about this since the yeast may do better at a lower temp, but i haven't made anything with yeast other than standard wine making yeast which would want a lower temp?

Last edited:
I have a new batch of 2lb (.907kg) of rice going now (after steaming the rice), in a 2-gallon glass jar I had around for making nocino. It is in the oven with the door propped open so the lights stay on. It is sitting right at 80 degrees F.

How long should it sit at that temp? Just keep going, or remove to a more room temp location (like 74 degrees F) after a week or so? Wondering about this since the yeast may do better at a lower temp, but i haven't made anything with yeast other than standard wine making yeast which would want a lower temp?
I do 85F for 7-10 days. Then let it go down to ~68F for 2-3 months.

How long before liquid should start collecting in the bottom? I have been seeing condensation on the walls of the jar for the last 2 - 3 days but nothing really collecting at the bottom yet

How long before liquid should start collecting in the bottom? I have been seeing condensation on the walls of the jar for the last 2 - 3 days but nothing really collecting at the bottom yet
I get liquid collecting in 2-3 days. But that is at 85F.

80F is a bit low. Fungus and amylase activity is better at the higher temp.

Once you get the starches to begin breaking down, the yeast will have something to ferment.

Looks like I have mold, not fungus. Drat!

Attachments

• 592A0754-9225-4DBA-BB72-CE3D10C02971.jpeg
    592A0754-9225-4DBA-BB72-CE3D10C02971.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Thx. Is there a detailed step-by-step recipe for this? The first batch was doing what it was supposed or do then went sideways, and this one started and was smelling really good (a sweet and a little yeast smell coming in) for a few days and then tanked. I am wondering if I am just missing something?

Thx. Is there a detailed step-by-step recipe for this? The first batch was doing what it was supposed or do then went sideways, and this one started and was smelling really good (a sweet and a little yeast smell coming in) for a few days and then tanked. I am wondering if I am just missing something?
If you look at my oldest posts and work forward, you should get a good idea of the process and theory. I pulled a lot of research from good sources.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/search/5133330/?page=3

After filtering into an airtight container, the color will slowly turn yellow after a long time. This is the Chinese yellow wine. This is also the ancestor of Japanese sake.

756821-IMG-1360.jpg

My first fermentation project, I think it's going fine. But however I have couple of curiosities.

1. I have placed in an airtight container, haven't used cheesecloth. Will I have problem in long run?
2. It was very tempting, I opened just to smell.. will it hamper. I promise never to do again to my working yeast. :D
3. How long do I have to let it sit on container?

Thank you, to all.

p.s. Its a day #3 pic.

756821-IMG-1360.jpg

My first fermentation project, I think it's going fine. But however I have couple of curiosities.

1. I have placed in an airtight container, haven't used cheesecloth. Will I have problem in long run?
2. It was very tempting, I opened just to smell.. will it hamper. I promise never to do again to my working yeast. :D
3. How long do I have to let it sit on container?

Thank you, to all.

p.s. Its a day #3 pic.
Looks like the rice was packed loosely enough and your yeast got past the lag phase so you are probably ok with the closed container.

Opening the container is not a problem. Check out this documentary where the famous brew master, 王阿牛, does open fermentation. He even stirs the fermenting rice with his bare arm.

I ferment at 85F for 1 week, then another 10 weeks at room temp, 68-70F. If you go longer than 10 weeks, it’s not a problem.

I ferment at 85F for 1 week, then another 10 weeks at room temp, 68-70F. If you go longer than 10 weeks, it’s not a problem.
Thank you Mr. Wonjau for thoughtful reply, feeling honored here specially what you've have done to your wine. After 10 weeks should I store in the freeze or in room temperature?

Thank you Mr. Wonjau for thoughtful reply, feeling honored here specially what you've have done to your wine. After 10 weeks should I store in the freeze or in room temperature?
If you follow the traditional method, you rack/press after 10 weeks, heat to 140F and skim off any protein material, take it up to about 190F, then cool.

From there you can store at room temperature. If you use a loose fitting lid, you can age it for 1-5 years and it will develop Shaoxing type sherry flavors.

My previous reply said 1 week at 85F, but I checked my notes and see that it is more like 2 weeks. Realistically, you can let the temperature gradually drop to ambient during the second week.

Have fun!

If you follow the traditional method, you rack/press after 10 weeks, heat to 140F and skim off any protein material, take it up to about 190F, then cool.

From there you can store at room temperature. If you use a loose fitting lid, you can age it for 1-5 years and it will develop Shaoxing type sherry flavors.

My previous reply said 1 week at 85F, but I checked my notes and see that it is more like 2 weeks. Realistically, you can let the temperature gradually drop to ambient during the second week.

Have fun!
Will go for second route, thank you again. :)

Back on post #6,201 I embarked on trying to make a rice wine, and it completely dried out and molded. I tried again soon after and got the same problem. Just a couple weeks ago I tried again with a quart mason jar batch and had success.

For anyone in a dry climate, you'll need to add some water when you start it, so that you have liquid up to about 3/4 the height of the rice in your container. For the first couple days you'll want to spritz the top of the rice with water morning and evening to keep it moist. After that the liquid level should reach the top.

I strained my rice out after it got down to about 1/3 the volume of the jar. Trust me - put the rice remnants in a tub in the fridge and use it for stir fry - it's delicious.

I then put the wine back in the jar with some sparkolloid. After a week it wasn't clear, but it was definitely clear-er and I tasted it. Pretty good stuff, and it does have a kick to it. Some time in the next week I'm going to try and make a starter batch with the mason jar and once it kicks off I'll cook some more rice, put it in a bucket, and pour the mason jar contents over it.

Couple quick question... 1)why is my wine always yellow regardless of the rice I use? And 2)would adding amalayse enzyme powder to the rice in any way help the brewing process? Otherwise it always turns out super. Thanks for the post.

Couple quick question... 1)why is my wine always yellow regardless of the rice I use? And 2)would adding amalayse enzyme powder to the rice in any way help the brewing process? Otherwise it always turns out super. Thanks for the post.
Are you using polished rice? If not, likely the outer layers, including bran, give the rice wine a yellow color. All of mine are yellowish too.
Not sure if amylase will help, I would think that the mold in the rice balls is sufficient to convert the starch, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try adding some. I have added koji to a few of my batches to see what would happen without noticeable effect.

That is the normal color for rice wine.

In Chinese, this type of rice wine is called “wong jau” or “huang jiu” which translates to “yellow wine“ in english.

If you let it age, it will turn more amber the way that sherry wine does.

No need for amylase. The mold in the rice balls grows and gradually breaks down the rice for the yeast so the yeast can grow.

You want the gradual breakdown. Even the ideal rice cooking process is designed so that the grains slowly break down over time as individual grains rather than like a big mush.

Last edited:
Are you using polished rice? If not, likely the outer layers, including bran, give the rice wine a yellow color. All of mine are yellowish too.
Not sure if amylase will help, I would think that the mold in the rice balls is sufficient to convert the starch, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try adding some. I have added koji to a few of my batches to see what would happen without noticeable effect.
I've used both polished and unpolished, with the same results. Still tastes great.

Back