Making the wet bar official

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
We've finally finished the 'A+' and 'A' lists on the new-to-us house. So, I can start on some other projects. One of the weird things about the place is it used to be a daycare center and there is a complete second kitchen in the lower level. There are two double sinks, so one is coming out and will be the home of the new kegger.

Since this is my third one, I've got a handle on what is good to have. One feature will be the door. It won't just be the door, but also the floor of the kegger. It will roll out on big casters for easy replacement of kegs. I should be able to fit 6-7 kegs (revised, I decided on four). I'll use a small refrigerator on the counter to supply cooling, with holes in the bottom and fans to circulate cold air. Two of the taps will go up into the fridge and through a cold-plate for beverages that require extra cooling.

Since this isn't my only 'B' project and money is tight right now, it will probably be 3-4 months before I post anything.

The project is finally moving forward. I have the sink out and the insulation in place on the back and sides. The front and bottom will be a cart mounted on furniture sliders.

I've ditched the idea of using an ice maker for cooling. The units that had the capacity were way too expensive. So, back to the mini-fridge approach. I'm thinking about using a Darby DAR195 1.8 cf. (like to hear from anyone who has used one) It doesn't have a freezer tray and the door racks are such that they should make mounting the taps easy. This also means I don't have to build a tower.

I plan on adding a cold plate, if I can find one that fits. If not, I'll have a coil of SS tubing for the soda water tap. I bought a SS tap and shank for the water, as the chrome one I've been using is shedding it's plating. I plan on posting a few pictures once the camera batteries are charged.

Sink out, checking for size.

Keg cart

Walls insulated

Assembly completed and secondary regulator in place.

Cart in place, waiting for the fridge

Looking good! Glad you're finally getting to work on this.

This is the fridge. Three taps for beer, one for soda water. I picked this fridge (a Danby) because most of the reviews mentioned that is was difficult to get it to not freeze things. Sounded like extra cooling capacity to me. The counter top is a sheet of tile board. It will get replaced with stainless steel and a drip tray when I can afford it. There's a drain in the cabinet to plumb the drip tray.

This shows one of the holes I drilled through the bottom of the fridge into the keg cabinet. I used a carbide hole saw that is intended for cutting door knob holes in steel doors. It's 2 1/8". Note the gap between the fridge and the cabinet.

One up, two down. I suspect I'll need a fan, but I thought I'd let it run for a while on natural convection. The tall tube on the left is up, the middle tube is down and the right tube is for the beverage lines. I also plan on adding a cold plate for the soda water, once I have a little extra cash. (Like after I sell the motorcycle.)

The tubes are just 1 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC with line splices at the top. They extend down into the cabinet. I haven't sealed them in any way. I'll do than when the SS is in place. The black wire is a temperature probe running into the cabinet.

Much as I expected, natural convection isn't enough. After a weekend, the cabinet is about 10F below ambient. I'll be adding a small fan this week.

This is exactly how I did my fermentation chamber. Mini fridge sits on top of my cabinet with 2 holes and 2 fans. One blows up and the other blows down.
brew013.jpg
[/IMG]
brew014.jpg
[/IMG]
Works great too.

Coldies,

It looks like a neat idea.

How efficient is that approach versus a chest freezer and temp controller? Mainly, I'm talking about cost (mini fridge, shelving, chamber build, etc), because some of those mini fridges can cost as much as a chest freezer. It seems like a little bit of waste to use the whole mini fridge to just push cold air down into your other chamber. It is a better idea than using a wall A/C unit for a cold source though. I do see how you can really customize your chamber size, etc.

It's a good approach for a built-in. My other place has a 'standard' chest freezer kegger. As far as cost goes, not much difference. The fridge was $50 cheaper, but I spent that on materials. Don't need to build a tower and no temperature controller, but lines, taps, shanks,etc are all a wash. Once I get a stainless steel counter made, I expect they will be even.

I will install a cold plate in the mini-fridge, giving me two serving temperatures. I'll hold the beer at 45F and be able to deliver wine or soda at near-freezing.

Put the beer lines in today. I've decided to keep the 20' party tap for the soda water, just in case we go on a picnic. So I need to get another out connector and more line.

That a great way to do this!!! Pretty simple. Much easier than dissecting a mini-fridge like I did.

I may do something like this for a fermentation chamber. I already have a 4 tap kegerator and a custom refridgerated cart that see's triple duty as a lager fermentation chamber, lagering fridge and once a year outdoor party dispenser. I could use another chamber so I could lager and ferment lagers at the same time.

I like this.... something similar might work in my space....

Quick question(s) though, what's the capacity of the mini frige, and the size of the keg box. Also, what temp are you able to maintain in the box?

Thanks

Medvitz

Back