Making sterile starters issue and question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMChueston0311

Marine Grunt
Reaction score
so I followed maltose falcons recipe for mason jar pressure cooker sterilized wort. Added 3.2 Oz of DME, a hop pellet and filled with distilled water to the level where the ring meets, shook up, had to pressure cook to 15PSI for 15 minutes

Question 1 - it took a really long time like an hour to get up to pressure, even when preheated, think it was a deal issue, will this affect anything?

Question 2 - I had to leave for work before it cooled enough to open cooler, and I got back 4-5 hours later, and removed jars. It had a sort of funky smell inside cooker, and there was tons of chunky hot break and green (assuming from hop trub) stuff. Will this length of time being hot/warm affect anything, and do I need to do anything about the hop break?

Should I dump and re-do when I can cool them more efficiently, or do you think I will be fine?

Anyone have any other methods they use, videos etc? I thought it was weird they didn’t boil and dissolve the DME, bout seems to be a legit site.

Attachments

• F6878CAF-39F2-4D39-BA9F-2793CD27208B.jpeg
    F6878CAF-39F2-4D39-BA9F-2793CD27208B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 33
A big cooker with a big batch does take a surprisingly long time to heat up. I never timed it but I could believe an hour.

The extra time in the cooker cooling was harmless. The wort is sterile, and once those tops seal during cooling, it stays sterile. There’s no need to rush cooling.

If the smell was kind sweet like wort, that’s normal.

The chunky hot break material is normal and harmless. I try to leave most of it in the jar when I pour but I also don’t worry about what makes it into the beaker.

If your jars were hot enough, long enough, and if the tops were sealed when you got to them... mission accomplished.

A big cooker with a big batch does take a surprisingly long time to heat up. I never timed it but I could believe an hour.

The extra time in the cooker cooling was harmless. The wort is sterile, and once those tops seal during cooling, it stays sterile. There’s no need to rush cooling.

If the smell was kind sweet like wort, that’s normal.

The chunky hot break material is normal and harmless. I try to leave most of it in the jar when I pour but I also don’t worry about what makes it into the beaker.

If your jars were hot enough, long enough, and if the tops were sealed when you got to them... mission accomplished.

The smell was like DME wort, but kind of funky if that makes sense. Could’ve been anything though, I PBWed and rinsed all the jars before as they were brand new.

Did some more Searching and research and realize I’m probably ok!

Excited to store and bank some yeasts and then get to growing starters!

New to the yeast and growing side of the house, not brewing!

Thank you for your response and info!

Attachments

• 6B32E1B0-0F99-4445-9E62-F5037D0F4795.jpeg
    6B32E1B0-0F99-4445-9E62-F5037D0F4795.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back