Making one huge starter vs. stepping one up slowly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
I have read that some people will grow as much as 2 liters worth of yeast starter on high gravity beers. Is there any real difference between making one really big starter (if you have a 2 liter vessel) and making a small one, then stepping it up until you get to the desired amount? I would much prefer to just make it once. Any thoughts?

If you are starting from a smack pack or white labs vial then I wouldn't step it up more than 2L at once you might risk the chance of infection as bacteria multiply twice as fast as yeast does. Is this going on a stirplate if not than I would step it up to 1L than 2L

If you are starting from a smack pack or white labs vial then I wouldn't step it up more than 2L at once you might risk the chance of infection as bacteria multiply twice as fast as yeast does. Is this going on a stirplate if not than I would step it up to 1L than 2L

Why would their be a higher risk of infection? Most people add a smackpack or vial directly to 5 gallons of wort when they brew, why would just over 2L be an issue?

Yes there is a difference imo. Making too small of a starter for a given amount of yeast actually leave the yeast depleted of nutrients and less prepared to ferment a full batch of beer. That's why it is recommended to not make starters (using relatively fresh Activator packs/vials) less than 1L. It is also recommended to make each step 5x-10x the previous step (for the same reason).

Doing a little quick math it's easy to see that in order to 'step up' to a 2L starter, the previous step really should be 1/5-1/10 of that; or .2L-.4L. But you shouldn't really be making a .2L-.4L starter from a fresh vial/pack in the first place. So you should just make the 2L starter to begin with.

However, many times we don't start with a fresh vial/pack of yeast. It may only be 10% viable in which case you could step that up by starting small (and also slightly lower gravity than a typ starter too).

However, many times we don't start with a fresh vial/pack of yeast. It may only be 10% viable in which case you could step that up by starting small (and also slightly lower gravity than a typ starter too).

How do you know if the vial/pack is fresh? Production date?

How do you know if the vial/pack is fresh? Production date?

Ding-ding-ding! We have a winrar!

Expired yeast, yeast from a frozen or refigerated yeast bank, or yeast from the bottom of a bottle can all be far less viable than the yeast from a fresh vial or smack-pack. In those cases, stepping up from a smaller starter (perhaps around 500mL) to a larger one (2000+mL) would be the best idea.

Back