Making a starter with more the one packet of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phalogore

Reaction score
Hi, I'v been brewing for a while now doing 20 liter (5gal) batches and just got a somewhat professional 120 liter (31.1gal) system.

My recipe is a 1.058 Pale ale of 100 liters(26.4gal) into fermenter volume.
Checking in Beersmith, it says that I should pitch 6 packets of dry yeast.

My question is: Is it possible to use 3 packets of dry yeast and make a starter to grow up the cell count for my volume? What size would it be recommended? I only have a 2.000ml Erlenmeyer flask and a home made stir plate at the moment.

I'll be using the slurry from this batch for a couple more generations, but I want to save some money on the initial pitches since yeast can get pretty expensive around here (Colombia, South America).

Any help would be appreciated, Cheers.

Hi, I'v been brewing for a while now doing 20 liter (5gal) batches and just got a somewhat professional 120 liter (31.1gal) system.

My recipe is a 1.058 Pale ale of 100 liters(26.4gal) into fermenter volume.
Checking in Beersmith, it says that I should pitch 6 packets of dry yeast.

My question is: Is it possible to use 3 packets of dry yeast and make a starter to grow up the cell count for my volume? What size would it be recommended? I only have a 2.000ml Erlenmeyer flask and a home made stir plate at the moment.

I'll be using the slurry from this batch for a couple more generations, but I want to save some money on the initial pitches since yeast can get pretty expensive around here (Colombia, South America).

Any help would be appreciated, Cheers.

You can make a starter with dry yeast. The yeast must be properly rehydrated before you add it to the starter wort. The best place to look for instructions on rehydrating is the manufacturers web site.

This is a good site for calculating starter size and stepped starters. Very easy to use and other good info at this site.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

You don't need a flask to make a starter. Boil and cool your wort in a kettle. Use any container your stir bar will work in. I use a plastic 1.1 gallon Rubbermaid container. Picture in Photos/Fermentation and Yeast.

The easiest thing to do is brew a 5 gallon batch with one pack of yeast and use the yeast cake from that for your 26 gallon batch. Why waste time and money making huge starters?

Back