Making a starter for belgian tripel with dried yeasy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm planning on using a Safbrew T-58 beer yeast for following this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/be...dal-dragonmead-final-absolution-clone-137219/

I realise that the liquid yeast they mention would be best, but that dried yeast is so much cheaper, and I'm not too fussed about getting the exact same flavours, just so that it tastes like a trippel.

I've read that the T-58 can be used in Belgian style beers for flavours and alcohol tolerence, but I'm not sure whether to make a starter or not to give it a hand.

I'm only planning on making 3gallons, rather than the 6 it says in the recipe.

Thanks for any help!

I used one pack of T-58 in an 8% ABV Belgian and it worked like a charm. OG was around 1.080 and FG was around 1.018 (I don't have my notes here). I did rehydrate, but that was it. This yeast is a beast. It doesn't give a lot of the flavor profiles you often look for in a Belgian, but that's not saying it's not good. Just a bit cleaner.

You might also look at using Danstar's Belle Saison. It's going to give you a lot more funky flavors, and will attenuate like mad.

No starters with dry yeast unless there is an emergency situation that requires it. In which case you can make a starter, but it's a lot of work considering the cost of dry yeast.

I used one pack of T-58 in an 8% ABV Belgian and it worked like a charm. OG was around 1.080 and FG was around 1.018 (I don't have my notes here). I did rehydrate, but that was it. This yeast is a beast. It doesn't give a lot of the flavor profiles you often look for in a Belgian, but that's not saying it's not good. Just a bit cleaner.

You might also look at using Danstar's Belle Saison. It's going to give you a lot more funky flavors, and will attenuate like mad.

That seems like the general consensus I've got from other people. We'll see how it goes. A strong refreshing but not too complex kind of Trippel will work for me haha

Latest posts

Back