Making a raspberry sour ale but I have a question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tipping

Reaction score
We are making a raspberry sour ale. The raspberries are from the garden. They have been washed and rinsed and frozen. We will add them to the secondary. Is there any risk introducing a bacteria after adding to the secondary? Do you have a particular method to do this?

I would skip secondary. Just toss them in at the tail end of fermentation if you have the room . If your worried about bacteria, puree your fruit on stove top . I use frozen berries all the time and just toss em in . Never had an issue but you never know.

I would skip secondary. Just toss them in at the tail end of fermentation if you have the room . If your worried about bacteria, puree your fruit on stove top . I use frozen berries all the time and just toss em in . Never had an issue but you never know.
Thanks for the reply. I personally wasn’t worried about introducing a bacteria but my buddy kinda was. So I thought I would ask more experienced home brewers.

fwiw, I have brewed a couple of 10g batches of raspberry hibiscus wheat using frozen berries. My berry process was to thaw, puree (Cusinart with plastic blade), add pectic enzyme, add a warm quart of hibiscus tea, bring the whole mess to 135°F and hold there for a few hours, to pasteurize without driving off volatiles. Then dump the entire thing in a clean carboy and close-transfer the beer on top. Four days later I cold crash under CO2 for two days then keg.

It's a wonderful beer. I'm holding back a full keg of it until my new keezer is christened :)

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. I personally wasn’t worried about introducing a bacteria but my buddy kinda was. So I thought I would ask more experienced home brewers.

I make sours quite often and never worry about it . But there's always that chance. If you feel apprehensive heat em up first to give you peace of mind.

Back