Making a perry-ish sort of thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aellis

Reaction score
So I had some pears that needed using before they went, and an empty 1 gallon jug, and a gallon of apple juice left over from making EdWort's Apfelwein (Costco sells them by the 2 pack).

So hey, why not make a perry, with apple juice filler? But I want to get as much pear flavor as possible, so why not boil the pears to soften, dissolve the sugar in there, and hit it all with the immersion blender? That'll get all the pear flavor out, for sure!

Well, now I have this. There are a lot of solids in there. Maybe they'll settle and I can rack off the top (it's only been 12 hours in this picture). Or maybe I could squeeze the juice out after primary is done? Or maybe I could leave it all, don't rack to secondary, and have unfiltered pear cider?

Anyone ever done this, and what happened?
Thanks.

Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 10.07.14 AM.jpg

If I remember my botany class correctly, those are the really cool cells that look like Chinese throwing stars. In essence, in boiling you pulled the flavor out of the fruit but you also pulled the pectin proteins into the juice as well. You can try introducing pectic enzymes, but I'm not sure how much that will clear your brew. Don't discount the end flavor, it may turn out to be amazing if a bit cloudy.

Should I have used a campden tablet in this, since I used fresh pears? Or am I ok since I boiled them a bit?

Back