Magnesium sulfate USP internal use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowtires

Reaction score
I have been playing with bru n water and it tells me I need more magnesium. I have epsom salts and they say for external use only. Its labeled USP which means high grade. What gives? And whats the importance of this magnesium.

Another question is I got all my numbers I need from adding 15 grams of gypsum but the ratio of calcium to chloride or sodium whatever it is says it's setup for bitterness, is this what is normal for an IPA? This IPA I'm making is attenuates low but has fairly high maltiness. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Magnesium is not really necessary for brewing water, but can be an asset in some beers. Pale ales and IPA's can benefit from the flavor effects imparted by Mg. Most other beers have little use for it. The USP designation suggests that it is edible, but since it can cause gastrointestinal distress if you consume a lot of it, it may be listed as external use only for the manufacturer's liability. As long as there aren't other ingredients listed, it should be OK.

The SO4 to Cl ratio doesn't really create maltiness or bitterness. I like to refer the effect as fullness or dryness. If you are looking to produce an IPA that does NOT dry out a lot, then avoid sulfate above something like 150 to 200 ppm. 300 ppm sulfate is great in IPA's that you do want to dry out in the finish. Be aware that maltiness can't be created with the water. It comes from the reduction in bittering and level of attenuation.

Thanks!

Yeah, i use Epsom salt in almost every brew that I adjust water for. I know that it is a very pure chemical compound because you can grow some really nice crystals with it and it is sold for pharmaceutical needs. The external use only referrers to the crystalline solid as you would not want to eat crystals of epsom salt as that concentration in your body would cause gastrointestinal distress! When using it to adjust water chemistry for beer, we're diluting it several times beyond what it's typically used for, so it should be fine. Keep in mind, that if your matching a water profile that somewhere has high Mg concentration, those people in that part of the world have been drinking that high Mg water for hundreds of years. Sometimes I use Epsum salt to up my sulfate levels as well as epsum salt is a lot more soluble than gypsum is. Also, keep in mind that the chemical formula for epsum salt is MgSO4*7H2O, and your program probably does this already, but sometimes people forget about the 7 waters of hydration and calculations will be way off if you do not factor in that weight of hydration.

Do you know if bru n water factors in 7 water molecules?

I use the same drugstore-brand Epsom Salts for water additions. It is commonly recommended as a laxative (1-2 tsp. in a cup of water). Definitely "internal use." Until a few hours later, when it will become external again. :p

Yes, Bru'n Water does include the water of hydration (7H2O) that is typical in solid magnesium sulfate. You will produce the desired Mg concentration when using the program.

Perfect! You guys are SMRT

Back