Magic Hat Spring IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TheTower

Reaction score
I just had one of these last night. I don't know if it's new, I've never seen it before and I generally enjoy Magic Hat beers. My first thought was that it's the clearest beer I've ever seen, it looked like tinted glass. I don't have much of a liking for bitterness, and this was slightly more bitter than I would have liked, but the hop taste at the end was awesome. The website says they use columbus hops. Anyone have experience with these? Anyone else try this beer?

Evan!

Reaction score
As a general rule I don't drink Magic Hat unless it's a choice between that and rolling rock. I think they play fast and loose with quality, and have never been impressed with their beers.

no1likesme

Reaction score
I had it with their spring sampler pack and I thought it was ok. Not the best ipa I have ever had but I would drink it again. It is a shame that it was packaged with that garbage #9.

Boston

Reaction score
Walker brought a sixer over last Saturday night. I'm not a big fan of MH but I thought this IPA was fantastic. I would definitely buy it again.

HSM

Reaction score
The IPA was the best beer in the variety pack. But it's no Sierra Nevada.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As a general rule I don't drink Magic Hat unless it's a choice between that and rolling rock. I think they play fast and loose with quality, and have never been impressed with their beers.
Roxy Rolles. Buy it the next time you see it, then send me a nice thank-you note. I agree, their beers tend towards mediocrity, but that's a real, real nice beer, one of my favorite American Ambers, pretty close to IPA territory but with a stronger, toastier malt profile.

Beerbrothas

Reaction score
I like the magic hat as well. Number 9 is the one I can remember that I like. I haven't had it in a while. I will now visit the brewery this winter to do a quality check.