Made a cream ale with Flaked Corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tlylebrew

Reaction score
I made a cream ale which required flaked corn. I didn't think of looking it up until after I had already made the batch. So I may have made a big mistake, but plan on seeing it through.

I have only done one partial mash up till this point because I don't want to invest the time or money to go all grain. So I steeped the 1.4# of Flaked corn, with .5# of Cara-Pils, and .5# of Crystal 10L for 45 minutes at 148°. From what I have now read I should of mashed the Corn with a base malt to convert the startches.

Any guess on how this will turn out and taste? Like I said I plan on seeing it through. It has already started bubbling away. OG was higher than it should of been at 1.068 instead of 1.052.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

OG was actually a bit higher than I expected, but I believe I was a bit short on the 6 gallons at the end as well.

Partial mashing is from what I understand ....... Mashing. You are only mashing the specialty additions to your beer. The flaked corn was a specialty addition. You could have increased the mash time to 60 minutes and used an iodine test to determine if conversion was complete. I am by no means an expert, but I think you should be fine. Did you make up the recipe yourself or was it a recipe others had given you?

I am sure you beer will be fine.

Salute! :mug:

Neither carapils nor crystal malts have any diastatic power, which measures the ability of the grain to convert starches to fermentable sugars. Those two malts are already converted, so you get sugars from them. But you won't get fermentables from the corn.

Your OG will be alright, but the FG will probably be higher than planned due to the increased percentage of non-fermentables. Expect a bit more body, lower ABV, and some haze.

I don't have the recipe in front of me, or I would post it and give credit. I will do that very soon....

So in the future if I decide this is a recipe I like I would need to mash the flaked corn with something like a 2-row malt to convert the starch?

Back