Märzen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkman

Reaction score
You're probably all getting tired of seeing my Märzen recipes pop up here, but I'm going to be brewing tomorrow and I want to make sure I don't make any big mistakes. Any suggestions? Criticisms? Unrelated yet amusing anecdotes?

3.3 lbs. Munich LME
3.3 lbs. Pilsen LME
1 lb. Vienna malt
3/4 lb. Caravienne malt 20L

1 oz. Hallertauer - 60 mins
1 oz. Saaz - 15 mins
1 oz. Tettnang - 5 mins

White Labs 830 - German Lager

After fermentation in mid-40's, transfer to secondary and reduce temperature to mid-30's. Lager for 6 months.

It should make a 5.6%, 20 IBU, 7.4 SRM lager, fitting the definition more for a traditional Märzen, darker and maltier than its modern Oktoberfest incarnations. I'm going for a smooth-drinking, malty session beer, but with at least a little hoppy complexity. I'm usually away from home May-August, so I really do intend on lagering this thing until September-October. Also, I noticed that if I use the White Labs Oktoberfest instead of the German Lager, I drop my ABV by .5% and the FG goes up about .004. Does anyone recommend one over the other?

Brew day tomorrow! :rockin:

I would skip caravienne malt and increase Munich malt to 3/4 of the brew, then go with Magnum bittering hops instead Hallertauer.

Maybe its just me, but I really love the orange color that Munich malts give and its very very sweet malty flavor.

Back