Lychee from Citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping4Hops

Reaction score
Hi y'all. So my problem is this. Lychee is probably my favorite flavor and aroma so far and I have been able to taste/smell it in commercial Citra brews I've had. Never been able to produce it myself however. Does anybody have any experience on the matter? Also I've ordered some Taiheke hops (NZ Cascade) that is supposed to have a lychee aroma as well and I'm planning to make a Citra/Teiheke Neipa to try to get it to give me the aroma I'm craving. Any input?

I’ve put 100% lychee juice in after primary completed and let it sit for another week. Flavor comes through nice. Not sure where you’re at but the grocery store here (Publix) sells the juice by a company called called “Ceres.”

I have used a lot of Citra in NEIPAs and never got a lychee aroma. I have also used actual lychee in a lychee milkshake hopped with Citra and Mosaic and the lychee flavor and aroma came through amazingly! I don't think you're going to get much lychee flavor from hops alone. Just toss in some lychee! I pureed frozen whole lychee and de-oxygenated the puree in a vacuum chamber before adding to the fermenter.

I live in Greece and I have never ever found lychee juice or puree. I used to be able to score some fruit once, but sadly not any more. I've smelled lychee from a couple of commercial batches though, which I know didn't have any actual fruit in them.

I get faint lychee aroma and flavour from Citra, from time to time... It's there, but in low amounts. Recently got a little bit of lychee, with stronger mango, tropical fruit and citrus notes, from a combination of Citra with Amarillo, where Amarillo was 60% in the dry hop and Citra was 60% in the whirlpool.

Back