Lupulin tolerance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Primavera

Reaction score
Just back from my local BBQ joint where 30 taps take center stage.

Had a flight of the hoppiest IBUeist beers available and while they were mighty tasty - none was perceived as bitter. Came home to a DFH 60 and it might as well have been Bud Light.

Am I doomed to 100+ IBU land forever?

Move to stouts and porters, lager and pilsners for a while. It will shift back. If you are drinking different beers always go from sweetest to bitterest.

I was on nothing but Double/Triple IPAs for like a good 3 years or so and everything else tasted bland.
Moving onto dark roasted beers, and then down to browns/ambers/German lagers "re-conditioned" my palate and my hop sensibility resat itself.

The thing is that now I no longer enjoy hop-forward beers lol:tank:

Hi, my name's Chris and I'm a lupulinaholic :-D
I know that when I had to go to Germany for work for a month and the region I was in was mostly Pilsners that when I returned I was much more sensitive to hop bitterness. You can reset your sensitivity, you just might have to forego the hop forward stuff for a while and focus on beers with other features.

Back