Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
My first batch missed on OG by 16 pts. Today I made a pale ale that came in at 1.044 when I was gunning for 1.056. I will get the hang of this sooner or later. I guess I will end up with around a 4 percent hoppy pale. On an interesting note, I used whirlfloc at 15 minutes. I had serious globs of stuff when racking to the fermenter. I looked in about 2 hous later and saw that a ton settled out already and the was a cool line of demarkation in there. The area where the yeast is pushes the gunk down. Above where the yeast has worked already is lighter and clear. Who's for a 4 percent pale? lol

One brew at a time...

You could always cheat and add a little dme to bring your gravity up next time. I used to do it all the time until I got my system dialed in.

rjwhite41 said:
You could always cheat and add a little dme to bring your gravity up next time. I used to do it all the time until I got my system dialed in.

It definitely needs to get dialed in! The first batch that I missed by 16 point was high by 16 points. Not sure how it got so low this time!

One brew at a time...

I should have kept my mouth shut. I was 6 points low today and didn't bother measuring it until I was done.

Would it be worth it to drop maybe a half pound of sugar in the fermenter?

One brew at a time...

Would it be worth it to drop maybe a half pound of sugar in the fermenter?

One brew at a time...

If your concern is alcohol content you could do that (boiled first I believe). It won't add any body though. I would just leave it be.

rjwhite41 said:
If your concern is alcohol content you could do that (boiled first I believe). It won't add any body though. I would just leave it be.

You're right. If my recipe is a good one, there's no sense messing up the beer. I've convinced myself now that a great tasting session beer is nothing to be ashamed of. Also, my starter is kicking ass and taking names in that carboy. I've gone from disappointed to pretty excited about it now.

One brew at a time...

In fact, a lesson I'm learning early in my brewing is to simply enjoy what I make regardless of original intent. If I and others who try it find it to be tasty, I was still successful. Bring on the session beer'

One brew at a time...

Back